OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Beard question  (Read 2978 times)

Offline yankeedeerslayer

Beard question
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »
So I have this beard. I am wearing my glasses most all the time when hunting now. I used to not and face masks didn’t bother me. Well face masks fog up my glasses good so here is my question. Can I let the beard be seen and just use some paint on my exposed skin or am I stuck using masks? Is orange/red if you can’t tell in the pic.
US Army Vet

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
Re: Beard question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »
Awesome beard brother.  I had a red beard once upon a time.  Mostly grey now.  I think the beard is an asset.  I wear prescription shooting glasses with an anti-reflection coating when hunting and don't like face masks either.  Now I'm a big fan of the Carbo Mask stuff and just streak up the exposed bright face and sometimes a streak or two through the beard.  The Carbo Mask stuff is easy to get off.  I've had so many jakes and hens just feet away that I'm confident that they aren't picking me out.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
Just keep your head down on your gun and you will be fine.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:54:29 PM »
That is one impressive beard sir. I would try and grow one but it tends to look more like David Spade on Joe dirt. I think you will be just fine and prolly don't even need facepaint.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BottomLand54

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:35:09 PM »
I say let her grow just not too long it could become a safety concern if you tripped on it. I am trying to grow a bear but it looks like most my food plots very bare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Treerooster

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
Don't the make green hair dye? Had a good laugh after reading the title and seeing that pic.  :toothy12:

Seriously though, that's a good amount of face showing IMO. Kind of like the guys that wear their face mask under the nose. Hides the mouth but the face is still there. Try it that way, see if you get busted and the turkeys will let you know for sure.

Offline yankeedeerslayer

Beard question
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 12:58:55 PM »
So I found this hat with attached mask in my deer hunting xtras box. Forgot all about it. I think it will work. Dogs me up just a bit on cold mornings. Now I just need to do something about that dang glare on the lenses.
US Army Vet

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 01:39:46 PM »
There are commercially made anti-fog solutions which help to reduce fogging...

You can even have lenses made with an anti-fog coating (although you still need to apply an applicator periodically to the lenses). 

A good anti-glare (AR) coating on the lenses will reduce fogging...  A cheap AR coating will often increase fogging on lenses.

If a turkey sees that beard hanging out of the bottom of your mask, and decides not to come in due to that, he probably deserves to live anyways...  I have stated in other posts, that I believe that I could hide in a bright orange care in the middle of a pasture turkeys were using, and they would come right in (as long as they do not see you move inside the car).

I believe turkeys are extremely sensitive to movement and unnatural sound...  I believe that picking your nose at the wrong time could prevent a bird from coming in, as well as I believe that at least with some birds that "whispering" to a buddy about an approaching bird could prevent the harvest of said bird.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »
Bass Pro sells a boonie with a wide brim. It'll shade you from the nose and ears up. I've had so many turkeys eyeball me and not spook, I probably won't wear a face mask again. If it turns white I'll just dye it. Mine's not orange, though.