Fighting Purr's

Started by tracker#1, March 28, 2018, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Treerooster on March 29, 2018, 11:59:50 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 29, 2018, 11:08:50 AM
Quote from: Treerooster on March 29, 2018, 10:25:52 AM
No need to Sir-diealot.

I carry a fighting purr call all the time. Its called a pot call. I just have a striker that will purr good on the call and that works fine. If you can purr good on a mouth diaphragm (I can't) that will work too.

You don't need a push-pin or the 2 push-pin calls, that was just a marketing gimmick. You don't need to go through all kinds of gyrations trying to use 2 strikers on a pot call either. Just 1 striker and purr aggressive on the pot call, throw in some sharp cutts too or maybe cut on your mouth call. I make a sharp "V" on the call but a straight line would work too I am sure. I have used slate, glass and a Kenny Morgan like Frictionwood type call, all have worked.

Nobody told me just 1 striker on a pot call would work...the turkeys did.

Like was said it is situational, but the fight purr call can work quite well at times. I've called gobblers back, away from hens, and called in another after I shot his buddy.
I have used pots that way as well and they do work. I would like to find something hands free but am not that good at purring with a mouth call myself though I am improving. Let me rephrase part of that, I do not mean hands free, I like having it on the gun so that I can just pull the string if I have something up close. I have never been in that situation but would like that ability in case I ever am.

I have never done a purr using a V motion, I will pull out some calls and drive the GF nuts when I get back from physical therapy. :D

If you want to have more of a 2-tone you can try calling on 2 slightly different areas of the pot. A pot call has a higher pitch towards the edge and a lower pitch towards the middle. You can make one purr start closer to the edge and end less in the middle while the other starts a tad further from the edge and ends more in the middle. But like I said I don't think 2 tones are all that important to the turkeys. Cadences is more important. Its not purr...purr...purr, its purrpurrpurrpurr

Also don't worry too much if you squeak a little when making the call, turkeys will squeak or whine (whatever you call it) when fight purring. Just call right through it.

Duration of the fight purr varies too. You can call for 15 or 20 seconds and then get on the gun. If the gobbler doesn't show then get back on the call. That is very natural in the way some turkey fights pan out. But there always is the chance the gobbler will come in pretty fast too.
Thank you very much for the advise.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tracker#1

I remember that on the package also. First 3 years using them and being very effective I thought "dam" they will be illegal. Birds ran to the gun. Went hunting with a master caller once, traditionalist, hand made wing bone only. Nothing wrong with that either. Nice tom we worked all morning hung up out at 45 yards because of small ditch, would not cross it. He let him go away for our next move. Time running out, I pulled out the purrs and the bird turned, came screaming in hot and I killed him 20 yards. The master caller said "What the hell was that" ! Something new I said...... they are a keepsake now, a lot of memories and signed by Harold, they stay home. Good feedback

Marc

I purr with a mouth call and a box or scratch call at the same time...  I move my head and the calls around while doing so...  I am fairly certain I look like a flappin' idiot having a seizure...  It has worked... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Marc on March 30, 2018, 10:31:32 PM
I purr with a mouth call and a box or scratch call at the same time...  I move my head and the calls around while doing so...  I am fairly certain I look like a flappin' idiot having a seizure...  It has worked...
What makes you think you don't look that way anyway?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Marc

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 30, 2018, 10:33:29 PM
I probably do...

I am an eye doc, my wife is a good lookin' lady, and I am able to keep her just blurry enough that I continue to look good to her...  As I get older, it is getting tougher, as there is the driving/safety factor to contend with, and each year, I have to make her glasses/contact lenses a bit more "blurred."

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Marc on March 30, 2018, 11:07:47 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 30, 2018, 10:33:29 PM
I probably do...

I am an eye doc, my wife is a good lookin' lady, and I am able to keep her just blurry enough that I continue to look good to her...  As I get older, it is getting tougher, as there is the driving/safety factor to contend with, and each year, I have to make her glasses/contact lenses a bit more "blurred."
Ah you see I have not had this problem, I have become incredibly sexy since my GF and I have met losing over 200 lbs. My problem is keeping her from beating all the woman that now want me incredible sexy body as she is a very jealous and violent woman. (I'm afraid to leave her as she may beat me up) She is a wonderful cook though so I try to convince her I am losing my looks by coating her glasses with Vaseline so I look odd to her and in turn hope she thinks that I have become to ugly for her so that she will leave me and there will be no violence committed and I can still eat good while I wait for the desired effect.

The thing we men go through for woman.

John Koenig: