OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fighting Purr's

Started by tracker#1, March 28, 2018, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracker#1

Doe anyone still carry these and when do you use them. I have a old Knight & Hale set, black plastic box, under laminate bottom. I stopped using them after Harold signed mine with a penned turkey feather...keep sake. I remember when they first came out and killed a few birds with them... birds seemed to wise up to them... Now, I just carry 2 Quaker Boy push boxes rubber banded together.

fallhnt

They worked for me one time in the mid 90's when turkeys were responsive after 10:00. They also worked for my buddy one time,also in the 90's. I have other calling tactics that have better odds now. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

silvestris

Fighting sounds will kill but are somewhat situational.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

shaman

I always carry a pushpin call.  I can't purr with a mouth call, so when I want to cluck and purr, I bring out the pushpin.  It also lets me do two things:

1)  I can kick my feet in the leaves and do a purr-cluck-cluck with the second cluck coming off a mouth call.
2)  If a hen comes in on me I can do an aggressive purr and tell her to buzz off without alerting the gobs nearby.

Early in the season, i'll bring along a double push pin.  Yes, I can  do a fighting purr, and I will use it, but it also lets me add a third hen to that feeding call run  -- purr- cluck-cluck-cluck.   

In one instance, a few years ago, I was calling for my son.  He added an extra purr-cluck to the mix, and pretty soon we had a flock right on our back door.  We switched to a fighting purr, and it enraged the hens and they started fighting.  It got the gobblers excited and they started mounting hens.  All this, sadly, took place just on the other side of some bushes.  We had twenty minutes of the most intense action I've ever witnessed, but it was all just sound and the occasional wing tip bobbing up over the bushes.  Meanwhile a few hens kept a wary eye on us, so we couldn't move.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

MK M GOBL

Had one many years ago, don't know who made it but it was all wood (Don't carry the call) I'd really have to did through the old call tote to see if it's still in there. Can't say I use it much anymore other than when I might have a chance to take a double, have killed the dominant tom and a sub came back to whoop him. As soon as I shoot when I multiple I use my diaphragm to do a fighting purr, I have used a time or two when a gobbler hangs up and nothing else has worked (just like gobbling) but I do this with my slate call.

MK M GOBL

mightyjoeyoung

Still have a set of the originals Mr Harold and David gave me and my old man way back when they came up and hunted with us on our old hunt clip in NY state.  They both signed them after we hunted.  Put them in my foot locker after that and haven't used em since.  I've used a pushit pin and mouth call to simulate a fight but only when I know there are multiple gobblers in the area.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mikejd

I still carry them everyday they are about 25 years old now. I carry very little in my bag but that old set is always with me. I don't always use them but when I  need to I do. They definetly make a bird break. When he has been strutting 60 yds from you for a half hr. A little fight sequence he thinks to sneaky jakes snuck in from behind to steal his lady.

Sir-diealot

Hope to get one next week if all goes right with the car and gun repairs. I have a old Quaker Boy push pin that I can attach to my gun but I have never cared for it very much, to hard to adjust the little metal part in it to make it sound right and it is hard for me to chalk it as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Treerooster

No need to Sir-diealot.

I carry a fighting purr call all the time. Its called a pot call. I just have a striker that will purr good on the call and that works fine. If you can purr good on a mouth diaphragm (I can't) that will work too.

You don't need a push-pin or the 2 push-pin calls, that was just a marketing gimmick. You don't need to go through all kinds of gyrations trying to use 2 strikers on a pot call either. Just 1 striker and purr aggressive on the pot call, throw in some sharp cutts too or maybe cut on your mouth call. I make a sharp "V" on the call but a straight line would work too I am sure. I have used slate, glass and a Kenny Morgan like Frictionwood type call, all have worked.

Nobody told me just 1 striker on a pot call would work...the turkeys did.

Like was said it is situational, but the fight purr call can work quite well at times. I've called gobblers back, away from hens, and called in another after I shot his buddy.

Bowguy

From the responses I'm seeing a lot of birds are left in the woods. Fighting calls are outright brutal at times. Bet I've killed at least 30 w em. You can tell when fight purrs are gonna work cause they blow up gobbling. They often run in. If nothing happens don't push it. Try another day.
One point my odds of a positive response were real high. Like others it got worse. Than guys stopped and it got good again.
No one is saying it should be a one call show but more of another thing to try. I usually use it when the birds stick, when hens join in and pull the bird away, and when I know a bird is there by mediocre gobbling.
Good technique. I still use the black double ones too. I bet you can prob find the "one piece" call in a shop. I grabbed one just a few years ago. Not sure if it was just old stock but that call I've never used.

Bowguy

Quote from: Treerooster on March 29, 2018, 10:25:52 AM
No need to Sir-diealot.

I carry a fighting purr call all the time. Its called a pot call. I just have a striker that will purr good on the call and that works fine. If you can purr good on a mouth diaphragm (I can't) that will work too.

You don't need a push-pin or the 2 push-pin calls, that was just a marketing gimmick. You don't need to go through all kinds of gyrations trying to use 2 strikers on a pot call either. Just 1 striker and purr aggressive on the pot call, throw in some sharp cutts too or maybe cut on your mouth call. I make a sharp "V" on the call but a straight line would work too I am sure. I have used slate, glass and a Kenny Morgan like Frictionwood type call, all have worked.

Like was said it is situational, but the fight purr call can work quite well at times. I've called gobblers back, away from hens, and called in another after I shot his buddy.
This is correct you can use other calls to fight purr. Here's the thing, a pot call required 2 hands for one sound. A purr call gets you two. You can cutt excitedly like a nearby hen and at the same time thrash your foot to mimic the brush/leaves being beat. All part of a successful illusion.
I use purr calls, a mouth call and the leaf beating technique. It works often enough

Sir-diealot

No need to Sir-diealot.

I have used pots that way as well and they do work. I would like to find something hands free but am not that good at purring with a mouth call myself though I am improving. Let me rephrase part of that, I do not mean hands free, I like having it on the gun so that I can just pull the string if I have something up close. I have never been in that situation but would like that ability in case I ever am.

I have never done a purr using a V motion, I will pull out some calls and drive the GF nuts when I get back from physical therapy. :D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Treerooster

Quote from: Bowguy on March 29, 2018, 10:44:30 AM
This is correct you can use other calls to fight purr. Here's the thing, a pot call required 2 hands for one sound. A purr call gets you two. You can cutt excitedly like a nearby hen and at the same time thrash your foot to mimic the brush/leaves being beat. All part of a successful illusion.
I use purr calls, a mouth call and the leaf beating technique. It works often enough

So why are 2 sounds needed? I have yet to hear a good reason for that. 2 tones is what has been billed to sell the fight-purr calls. The 2 tones where what made the calls "real" was the sales pitch. The turkeys have told me, nah...no need for 2 different tones or sounds. I do try to get 2 tones by purring a sharp "V" but the difference is slight and I really don't think it is even necessary. I just purr with the same cadence of 2 turkeys that are fighting. I get that there are 2 turkeys fighting and may have 2 distinct voices, but do the turkeys really think about 2 tones or 2 sounds?

There is an advantage in using one hand I agree, even more advantage with a mouth diaphragm. The disadvantages of a push-pin (or 2 of them) are; Another call to carry. You have to dig it out when the pot call may already be right in your hand. Push-pins can be fickle...hard to maintain a quality tone and also can be subject to tone change in high humidity conditions. A good push-pin can be hard to find, many of the mass production ones sound pretty bad. I will say I have not had a good custom made push-pin so I speak without experience there. Bought a few of the store bought ones though and there is a lot of not-so-good ones IME.

I have heard quite a few turkey fights over the years and seen several too. The fights vary a LOT. Some birds go at each other hard...REALLY HARD, and some just dance around each other and never really get into it although they do purr aggressively.

As a side note, I was privy to a bunch of turkey calling the other morning. The turkeys in my area had just started to break up and I found a flock of about 20 roosted together. They flew down and were about 80 yards from me. They called for 45 minutes straight, hardly a moment of silence. I heard about 7 separate fights break out. Some lasted 15 seconds some went on for a couple minutes maybe. Some were quite loud and some a bit quieter but still aggressive. It was a fun morning of "scouting".

Treerooster

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 29, 2018, 11:08:50 AM
No need to Sir-diealot.

I have used pots that way as well and they do work. I would like to find something hands free but am not that good at purring with a mouth call myself though I am improving. Let me rephrase part of that, I do not mean hands free, I like having it on the gun so that I can just pull the string if I have something up close. I have never been in that situation but would like that ability in case I ever am.

I have never done a purr using a V motion, I will pull out some calls and drive the GF nuts when I get back from physical therapy. :D

If you want to have more of a 2-tone you can try calling on 2 slightly different areas of the pot. A pot call has a higher pitch towards the edge and a lower pitch towards the middle. You can make one purr start closer to the edge and end less in the middle while the other starts a tad further from the edge and ends more in the middle. But like I said I don't think 2 tones are all that important to the turkeys. Cadences is more important. Its not purr...purr...purr, its purrpurrpurrpurr

Also don't worry too much if you squeak a little when making the call, turkeys will squeak or whine (whatever you call it) when fight purring. Just call right through it.

Duration of the fight purr varies too. You can call for 15 or 20 seconds and then get on the gun. If the gobbler doesn't show then get back on the call. That is very natural in the way some turkey fights pan out. But there always is the chance the gobbler will come in pretty fast too.

tha bugman

I remember that on the packaging it said "so effective that it might become illegal" or something like that... :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: