turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with calling!!!

Started by Skinman, April 20, 2011, 09:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skinman

Hey im fairly new to turkey hunting been doing it for 2 years now i generally call for myself or others i can always get the birds 60-70 but never in close enough for a shot, i do use decoys, am i calling to aggressive? i call about every 5 minutes.... thanks yall

Cut*N*Run

might be too aggressive. I know I am guilty of that most of the time.

Analyze the terrain too though. They can hang up on the dumbest things- rock walls, small streams etc.

WillowRidgeCalls

If you get a bird in within 50yds, when you run your call you should be just barely be able to hear it, on a calm day. soft purrs and clucks is all that's needed.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Stoner

Willow Ridge Calls is exactly right. You need to sound like a natural hen. Many times I call the hens with soft clucks and purrs and the the gobblers are right with the hens. I have shot many turkeys doing what Willow Ridge recommended.

culpeper

I agree with others and would say yes you are calling too much.  But also it is what calls your making.  If I have a bird who has responded and made a move to me but hangs up, then I go real soft and infrequent, using only purrs, soft clucks, fedding sounds and or also combined with leaf scratching if I can get away with it without being seen.  He just isn't sure it's a real hen and you need to pique his curisoty a bit higher such that he simple can't stand it any lonegr and must come in to investigate further.  Calling too much and not using the right calls at the right time will definitely tell him you and no sexy hen and he'll walk away.  Also be watchful of your rhythm and cadence on calling.  Don't be afraid to mix it up, raise and lower frequency and try to always keep in mind that this isn't a competiton call...many of thios hens sound awful.  Sure you might have got him initially interested, but now closer he will come to realize you ain't the real deal.  Part of all this is of course gaging if he is hot enough to hang around and cooperate and that can only be answered by you at that moment.

Skinman

thanks fellas ill try the tips out friday morning

moyehow

A lot of my customers love to use the ceramic call i make to get a gobbler to come on in, expecially if he is hung up.  It makes a very nice soft purr and yelp.  You can probably do it on any ceramic or slate call.  Just make it very soft. 

Grasshopper

TarheelTurk

Quote from: Grasshopper on April 22, 2011, 05:18:30 PM
Patience !!! 

X2

+ Enjoy every moment & the experience everyday turkey hunting has to offer. Good Luck
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL