OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Anybody Shoot a Full Choke or Something Other than aTurkey Choke?

Started by jimmy v, March 28, 2018, 11:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy v

Just interested. If so, what do use? I shoot a Winchester SX3...Carlson's LB ported choke.

coonhunter

I have a old browning A5 with a fixed 30" full choke.  I shoot the 2 3/4" federal #6 with flight control wad.  Killed a turkey at 34 yards with it 2 years ago.  Never counted the pellets in the 10" but I just limit myself to around 30 yards..
Joshua 24:15

goblr77

I'm running more open chokes with #9 TSS. A .680 in my SX3 and a factory full in a Franchi Affinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SCDieselDawg

I've shot the Winchester LB shells through a factory full choke in my new model A5

Izzyjoe

A buddy of mine shoots a full choke mossberg 500, with Lb #5's. Patterns great at 35yds, but we have never tried any farther. Years ago I used my wingmaster 30" full choke with Win supreme's XX 5's, never did pattern that combo, but it worked!

Marc_Stokeld

one of my turkey guns is a 3" 12ga 30" Model 12 Heavy Duck. it shoots tighter than my other two turkey guns, both of which have custom chokes. it will put 368 Hevi713 #7's in 10" at 40yds. every 3" heavy duck model 12 i have seen was in the same league. they got it right from the factory

potter

I hunt with a 10 gauge fixed full choke. Just tried nitro tss and was impressed. Pic on 10 gauge patterns, think I had about 370 in the 10.before that win no 4s.

surehuntsalot

I've used the factory full in my 835 many times, it shoots the Winchester XX Magnum # 4's (old red hulls) like nobody's bisiness
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Divenut2

Up until last year I hunted with my old 500 with 28" ventilated ribbed barrel and standard Full "Accuchoke" tube. Worked great with WW XX #5 and/or #6 shot and put birds down. Last year I hit the woods with a new 20" barrel and Extra Full tube.
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

howl

I had good luck with Federal Flite Control 2oz lead fives out of a factory full in a few guns. 3.5" Heavyweight #5s held a pattern a long way out of factory full 835.

If you get into TSS factory full might be too tight for a hunting pattern.

One thing worth considering is that not all factory chokes are equal. A budget gun with a cheap, basic short choke system is not likely to throw as good a factory flush choke pattern as a better gun with longer, well-designed internal chokes. You'll have to pay up for an aftermarket extended choke to get the say performance. Chokes can be part of what makes better guns more expensive. A good set of factory chokes adds a lot of value to a gun.

PineyRooster

shooting Apex 3.5" 2.5oz 8's in the factory full choke of my sbe2 put 152 in a 10" circle at 45 yards. as you can imagine plenty of wiggle room with that set up. 85-90% of the whole load in a 30" circle at that same distance. very forgiving setup as well as extra insurance for misjudged distance.