OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anybody Shoot a Full Choke or Something Other than aTurkey Choke?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline jimmy v

Just interested. If so, what do use? I shoot a Winchester SX3...Carlson's LB ported choke.

Offline coonhunter

Re: Anybody Shoot a Full Choke or Something Other than aTurkey Choke?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 12:50:59 PM »
I have a old browning A5 with a fixed 30" full choke.  I shoot the 2 3/4" federal #6 with flight control wad.  Killed a turkey at 34 yards with it 2 years ago.  Never counted the pellets in the 10" but I just limit myself to around 30 yards..
Joshua 24:15

Offline goblr77

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »
I’m running more open chokes with #9 TSS. A .680 in my SX3 and a factory full in a Franchi Affinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline SCDieselDawg

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »
I’ve shot the Winchester LB shells through a factory full choke in my new model A5

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 11:25:50 PM »
A buddy of mine shoots a full choke mossberg 500, with Lb #5's. Patterns great at 35yds, but we have never tried any farther. Years ago I used my wingmaster 30" full choke with Win supreme's XX 5's, never did pattern that combo, but it worked!

Offline Marc_Stokeld

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 05:56:04 PM »
one of my turkey guns is a 3" 12ga 30" Model 12 Heavy Duck. it shoots tighter than my other two turkey guns, both of which have custom chokes. it will put 368 Hevi713 #7's in 10" at 40yds. every 3" heavy duck model 12 i have seen was in the same league. they got it right from the factory

Offline potter

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:34:53 PM »
I hunt with a 10 gauge fixed full choke. Just tried nitro tss and was impressed. Pic on 10 gauge patterns, think I had about 370 in the 10.before that win no 4s.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 11:51:01 PM »
I've used the factory full in my 835 many times, it shoots the Winchester XX Magnum # 4's (old red hulls) like nobody's bisiness
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline Divenut2

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 06:08:09 PM »
Up until last year I hunted with my old 500 with 28" ventilated ribbed barrel and standard Full "Accuchoke" tube. Worked great with WW XX #5 and/or #6 shot and put birds down. Last year I hit the woods with a new 20" barrel and Extra Full tube.
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »
I had good luck with Federal Flite Control 2oz lead fives out of a factory full in a few guns. 3.5" Heavyweight #5s held a pattern a long way out of factory full 835.

If you get into TSS factory full might be too tight for a hunting pattern.

One thing worth considering is that not all factory chokes are equal. A budget gun with a cheap, basic short choke system is not likely to throw as good a factory flush choke pattern as a better gun with longer, well-designed internal chokes. You'll have to pay up for an aftermarket extended choke to get the say performance. Chokes can be part of what makes better guns more expensive. A good set of factory chokes adds a lot of value to a gun.

Offline PineyRooster

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 12:39:34 AM »
shooting Apex 3.5" 2.5oz 8's in the factory full choke of my sbe2 put 152 in a 10" circle at 45 yards. as you can imagine plenty of wiggle room with that set up. 85-90% of the whole load in a 30" circle at that same distance. very forgiving setup as well as extra insurance for misjudged distance.