OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Need A New Aluminum Pot  (Read 5119 times)

Offline Buckman18

Need A New Aluminum Pot
« on: March 27, 2018, 10:20:45 PM »
Back when I was a wee-hillbilly in about 1998 I bought my first pot call at Walmart on clearance after the season closed for $11.99. I actually remember the purchase very well! It was a Knight and Hale Ultimate Series Aluminum. I’ve actually had some great luck with that call over the past 20 years, and actually called in my 3 GA Toms with it last year.

That said, the call is and always has been difficult to run and one has to be extremely careful to avoid a huge ‘squeak.’ Obviously, I haven’t kept up with the latest and greatest with aluminum pots, but it is time for an upgrade. I’m considering the Knight and Hale Canyon Cutter, because of my good history with K&H. I bought a Moonshiner 2 weeks ago and I’m already on the board with it. Does anyone have any experience with the Canyon Cutter? Or would you advise going with a custom? If so who makes a good one?

Looking at midwayusa, I see the Ol Yeller Ceramic on sale for $25. I’ve never had a ceramic, how is this call? I might buy 2 calls if folks say it’s good?

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: Need A New Aluminum Pot
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:51:24 PM »
Call Jimmy Schafer, Oak Ridge Turkey Call and order an Atomic 13.

Online Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 03:06:23 AM »
I know a guy.  He makes one called the High Standard.

http://gooserbatcalls.com/catalog.php?category=4

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:20:19 AM »
You bought a great call with the moonshiner. I prefer customs but knight and hale did good with that one. I've never played the canyon one. I don't like the new old yeller at all. I recently bought a houndstooth ceramic and couldn't be happier with it. I make calls and my favorite combo to make is glass over aluminum. To me this combo has a perfect amount of rasp and has good volume.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:05:49 AM »
Yup I have the moonshine also and what I do have and like is the Scarlet Fever Pot Call
I ended up complaining to knight and hale about this call
I wanted to order another
They changed the sound board too AQRYLIC from slate and I complained too them and got no where
If you don't like the sound send it in  ,,,,, on the back of the package SAIDS slate but it's a red AQRYLIC
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »
I've got a Game Over aluminum pot from S&S Custom Calls that talks the talk.  It is a screamer if you bear down on it, yet it calls sweet if you ease off. It definitely pulls 'em in by the ears. They build a great call.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 09:45:25 AM »
Mentioned this in another post, but I tried the David Halloran zebrawood aluminum the other day and it is definitely a winner, at least the one I played.

Offline Double B

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
Enticer aluminums sound great and not too expensive.  Raw alum calls.
Followed by buzzards

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
Some great mentions here I'd rather go with one custom over two production.

For both aluminum and ceramics schaffer, halloran, houndstooth are all great options, I'd probably buy a aluminum before ba ceramic as more guys tend to like them some guys are hit and miss with ceramics although I love them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline turkeykiller22

• Grounded Brand
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »
I make an aluminum call. You can check them out at www.footonDAhead.com. The aluminum surface is my personal favorite. Let me know if I can help you out in any way!

Drew

Offline Swather

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »
Look up Lonnie Mabry, call him, go see him, and select one of his calls with some advice from him.  He lives between Waleska and Canton.  He is listed in the whitepages under Canton and his street is Clayton Trail.  He has good, custom pot calls at a good price, including aluminum.  To my knowledge, he still does not make ceramic pot calls.

I do not know Stumpy's disposition, but he (Chad Hutcheson) of McRae, Ga has built some good ceramic calls.  I have one that I prefer to use with hard strikers like yellowheart or bloodwood.  It has been a very good call.

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »
I've had an enticer silver fox aluminum pot and it hasn't let me down since I've had it going on 5 or 6 yrs. Al Hobart makes a good call for a very reasonable price. Enticer Turkey Calls and he has an extensive line and like I said makes a very good call for the money like $45. Check out his website.  :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline birdhunterdave

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 05:21:08 PM »
 Oak ridge atomic 13

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 05:35:33 PM »
I've been pleased with my Lights Out aluminum and ceramic pots. I use to carry the aluminum on every hunt, but now I carry a lights out slate and a Big lake glass

Offline KYHeadhunter02

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
There's to many great call makers to buy one off the shelf at a big box store. Some guys charge more, but there are some that sell them dirt cheap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk