OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Decoying TX Rios??  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Texforce

Decoying TX Rios??
« on: March 27, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
What decoy set-ups have worked the best for you guys on Early season TX Rios?? I would certainly appreciate any input. Thanks, and Good Huntin'

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Decoying TX Rios??
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 05:26:29 PM »
The best decoy set-up in Texas is carrying and running one of those feeder-motor whirly things.   ;D :toothy12:
Other than that, I couldn't tell you..... ;D

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:14:21 PM »
The best decoy set-up in Texas is carrying and running one of those feeder-motor whirly things.   ;D :toothy12:
Other than that, I couldn't tell you..... ;D

:TooFunny:

Offline wade

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
A hen set low in a breeding position with a jake about 2 feet behind her, worked on my 1 and only Rio. There's a video posted in wildlife photography of the tom trouncing the jake decoy, but you can't see the action because of a rookie cameraman.
Do it outdoors

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 06:10:02 PM »
Not an expert on "Texas" Rios but have killed them in Texas and Oklahoma, hunted both public and private, my DSD's did their job (NO strutter or jake on Public) only used the hens on Public and used strutter and jake on private. Dad and I were both out on the hunts killed with and without decoys in both states. Just a tool in the shed...

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:20:01 PM by MK M GOBL »

Offline Planner

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 08:49:04 PM »
I hunt in the hill country and we run the Jake and breeding hen quite a bit with success. But- I’ve also pulled quite a few in with a strutter too. Because of the open terrain it helps giving them something they can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
never had much luck with decoys and rios....running around in front of them and cutting them off their travel route has worked better for me.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 11:02:54 PM »
My best success (with Rio's in California) has been a jake/hen combo...  I have had them run away or hesitate due the jake as much as I have seen them run in...   One of the biggest tom's I have seen in the area I hunt, came in (I watched him walking down the dirt road), came around the corner, saw my jake decoy, and took off like I had shot at him (last day of the season)...  I sure wish I had left the decoys in the car.

A single hen decoy has not been as productive...  All too often they will hang up and display out of range and saunter off eventually (whereas I think they often would have kept coming forward with no decoy).

I do tend to use decoys in more open country (for me that is pastures or meadows)...  In wooded areas, I leave the decoys in the truck...

Tomorrow is opening day, and I am hunting an open pasture (with my 5 year old daughter in tow)....  I will use a jake/hen combo, cause it is one of the few open areas I hunt....

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 12:40:52 PM »
For me, timing has been the biggest issue with early season Texas Rios.  Some years, they come running to calls, decoys, or whatever you throw at them.  Other years, they ignore you completely.  So in conclusion, I'd say success with any decoy setup is a toss up.