OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What type of finish?

Started by Footballer, March 25, 2018, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: pauld on July 19, 2018, 01:40:09 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 19, 2018, 11:48:41 AM
Quote from: pauld on July 19, 2018, 11:20:45 AM
Whatever you use I suggest wiping with acetone first, especially with oily woods. Avoid anything water based. The problem with many lacquer and poly finishes is anything with DEET in them will take the finish off. A oil, wax/oil or CA finish will be the most durable. Be conscious that changing finishes WILL change the sound as well. Personally I use CA and "secret sauce" that Mr Harold Fowler taught me. Holds up very well.
Will using a bug spray with high concentration of DEET while hunting cause a problem?

DEET has a nasty habit of stripping or causing a white cloudy look on lacquer and poly.
Guess I will have to find something else to keep the bugs off.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

pauld

There's lots of finishes out there it won't pull off. Plus, thermacell. Lol

Footballer

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 19, 2018, 02:38:21 PM
Whatever you use I suggest wiping with acetone first, especially with oily woods. Avoid anything water based. The problem with many lacquer and poly finishes is anything with DEET in them will take the finish off. A oil, wax/oil or CA finish will be the most durable. Be conscious that changing finishes WILL change the sound as well. Personally I use CA and "secret sauce" that Mr Harold Fowler taught me. Holds up very well.
Will using a bug spray with high concentration of DEET while hunting cause a problem?

DEET has a nasty habit of stripping or causing a white cloudy look on lacquer and poly.

I use tru-oil so you are ok using feet with my calls. Obviously avoid contact if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: pauld on July 19, 2018, 05:58:49 PM
There's lots of finishes out there it won't pull off. Plus, thermacell. Lol
Thermacell is for the rich the last time I looked them up.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Footballer on July 19, 2018, 06:33:05 PM

Thanks for the info.

I use tru-oil so you are ok using feet with my calls. Obviously avoid contact if you can.

John Koenig:

pauld

Yep. Oils, including tru-oil will hold up better to it.

Thermacells are about $25 and in SE Ga are one of the most important things you can own. Lol

Sir-diealot

Quote from: pauld on July 19, 2018, 10:13:32 PM

Yep. Oils, including tru-oil will hold up better to it.

Thermacells are about $25 and in SE Ga are one of the most important things you can own. Lol
I felt like an idiot after I posted I went and looked them up, when they first came out they were like 120 a pop, they are MUCH lower now. I will get one by next spring for sure.

John Koenig: