OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Time for a new vest....  (Read 43904 times)

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
Re: Time for a new vest....
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2018, 05:35:18 PM »
I guess I'm an outcast.  I bought a cheapish Mossy Oak turkey thugs vest about five years ago just to test.  I absolutely love that vest.  The seat is a little bit of a pain to reattach but I've learned to deal with it. Hoards of pockets and great padded seat and back.  I think it was 25 bucks on sale at the time.  One of those weird things that happened to work out.  It has plenty of blood stains on it now. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »
I guess I'm an outcast.  I bought a cheapish Mossy Oak turkey thugs vest about five years ago just to test.  I absolutely love that vest.  The seat is a little bit of a pain to reattach but I've learned to deal with it. Hoards of pockets and great padded seat and back.  I think it was 25 bucks on sale at the time.  One of those weird things that happened to work out.  It has plenty of blood stains on it now.
It is a great vest!  The only thing that they need to do is reorient the seat so that it deploys like a tactical tat'r.  that buckling up and down on that vest is a pain!

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »
Another vote for Mossy Oak turkey thugs vest. Buckling seat is a pain.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
Super elite 4.0 just arrived minutes ago.I am going to load it up and see what I think.I tried it on and am pretty impressed with the build and layout so far.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »
It is a great vest!  The only thing that they need to do is reorient the seat so that it deploys like a tactical tat'r.  that buckling up and down on that vest is a pain!

+ 1.. The cheap walmart mossy oak vest is my "go to" for now. Liked it so much, I just got another for a spare.  I have tried every vest out there.. this one suits my needs best.  The seat sucks as mentioned, but I don't use the seat most the time on any vests, tote a gobbler chair instead. When I do run and gun, I used one of the thicker seats from a different vests... just throw it inside the game bag in the back.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossy-Oak-Turkey-Vest-with-Cushioned-Seat-and-External-Pocket/40487617

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
I have it loaded up with everything i carry and there is still lots of room for more.I think this vest is extremely well thought out and if the gobbler 2 vest is as good or better than I will be set for a decade.This is my favorite vest i have ever tried on other than the ll bean,both are amazing and a great fit for what I like.I should see the gobbler 2 in the next few days.I would rate this vest as an A.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
I could easily fit 20+ strikers in this vest,along with 6 pot calls in the two pot call pockets,I have 5 so far and 14 strikers,I can put my rangefinder and binos in the front bottom left pocket and it's a perfect fit.I am pretty impressed with this vest.It is massive and well thought out and comfortable all filled up.I still have tons of room and a few pockets to fill,my shells and a few other small items yet to go in vest.I am camo'ing up my coffee cup tonight and hoping it will fit nice and tidy as well.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
Just got knight and hale rng 200, love the simplicity but do not care for the pot call holders, I put a crystal mistress in to try it and no way it’s staying put once you get to brush busting...The strikers holders are difficult to use but may break in?  Also not a fan of the location of the it calls they are in the way ,  sending it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
Just got knight and hale rng 200, love the simplicity but do not care for the pot call holders, I put a crystal mistress in to try it and no way it’s staying put once you get to brush busting...The strikers holders are difficult to use but may break in?  Also not a fan of the location of the it calls they are in the way ,  sending it back

Yeah that's was a turn off for sure I don't want my pots exposed or have any chance of coming out they have to be exposed.

The impact would lead the short list if I picked up a new one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2018, 10:21:17 AM »

Yeah that's was a turn off for sure I don't want my pots exposed or have any chance of coming out they have to be exposed.

The impact would lead the short list if I picked up a new one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Ok I am a vest junky as I have said I am constantly looking for one that fits all my needs.  That being said, after reading this thread and seeing the Tactical Tat'R 2 on sale at Cabelas along with free shipping I decided to order one.  I got it in the mail yesterday and hunted out of it for the first time this morning.  In regards to the pot call holders.  I was able to easily put my Woodhaven Cherry Classic (with the cover on).  It held it very firmly.  I cannot attest to a thicker pot, but I would imagine it would be a struggle to fit it in. Really cool little alligator clip to hold conditioning pads and paper. I tried putting my Real Hen box call in the holder, but it is for short boxes only.  The chalk holder is convenient as it is located just outside of the box call holder.  I really like the GPS holster as I use mine constantly and it is nice to be able to flop it open and keep a read on where I am going without having to dig it out of my pocket.  Great zippers, but the neat thing is the elastic cords that hold the compartments shut.  This allows you to have the zippers down either partially or all the way and still not have to worry about something falling out. There is a mouthcall case attached to a lanyard that fits neatly inside of a front pocket thats nothing fancy but a pretty cool addition.  The overall vest is snug with little to no flopping around as I have had with other strap type vests.  Very easy to take on and off, and I particularly like the way that the backpack straps fit to my shoulders.  I like the seat (flip up flip down no snapping required), it is comfortable and works well in conjunction with the strategically placed back padding.  I did notice after sitting on wet ground and flipping the pad up that the back of my pants got wet from the outer edge of the cushion brushing my pants which leads me to my next point. I don't like the seat adjustment as so far it is darn right impossible to move the straps within the buckle, this is probably due to it being elasticized material.  I have not put anything in game bag, but it looks very roomy, adjustable and easy to access.  There are two access pockets on either side that are very roomy and double as a place to stick your hands and keep them warm.  As I said, I try alot of different vests looking for that perfect one and first impressions are that this is definitely the best strap vest that I have tried so far. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:03:00 AM by tha bugman »

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2018, 01:37:07 PM »
The gobbler 2 vest just arrived,my first thoughts of it,I should have left it where it was.The super elite 4.0 is twice as nice in my opinion,this vest does not seem as well built as the super elite 4.0.I think it is a decent vest but maybe I am just spoiled after the super elite 4.0.I will be keeping the super elite 4.0 as my vest this year,it opens tomorrow.The gobbler 2 may sit here or go back to where it came from.I do like the camo pattern on it and it has lots of pockets.The super elite 4.0 seems better quality and I like it better.

Offline ezmorningrebel

« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
i've enjoyed following along your thread.  the fourth vest i've bought in the last month should be here wednesday so i can relate.  no store has these things locally so the only way i can find what works is just order and try them out.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »
I would only use the super elite 4.0 out of the ones I have bought to try,the gobbler 2 is nice but the super elite 4.0 is outstanding and with it and my ll bean vest,I am good to go for another 5 years.They are such an individual feel that I really do like all of them,they all have great qualities and will work for somebody.Good luck,I am heading up to my camp for 12 days as I just took another job and do not start until the 7th of May,It felt so good telling the other company where to stick their job.Put it this way,it's a hunting and fishing company where i worked for years and was the boss and they basically told me that I can't hunt.Guess what?nobody ever tells me that I can't hunt.....the job I took is for more money,mon-fri 730-4pm and no weekends.I will be able to bird hunt before work and bear hunt with my bow in the evening.Being the boss isn't always better....good luck to all.

Offline Bolandstrutters

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »
I would only use the super elite 4.0 out of the ones I have bought to try,the gobbler 2 is nice but the super elite 4.0 is outstanding and with it and my ll bean vest,I am good to go for another 5 years.They are such an individual feel that I really do like all of them,they all have great qualities and will work for somebody.Good luck,I am heading up to my camp for 12 days as I just took another job and do not start until the 7th of May,It felt so good telling the other company where to stick their job.Put it this way,it's a hunting and fishing company where i worked for years and was the boss and they basically told me that I can't hunt.Guess what?nobody ever tells me that I can't hunt.....the job I took is for more money,mon-fri 730-4pm and no weekends.I will be able to bird hunt before work and bear hunt with my bow in the evening.Being the boss isn't always better....good luck to all.

I've had the super since last year and I'll be retiring it early.  It's really well made, but way too heavy for what it is.  Also the material is extremely noisy.  The buckles for the seat are hard to reach, the water bottle holder is too small and you can't reach it without twisting your arm out of socket or taking the vest off.   It's a nicely made vest, just a little too heavy for my style of hunting. 

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2018, 02:19:20 PM »
great opening morning,I had roosted these birds for a few days,however I have been hunting this property for over 30 years.There were 3 toms within shooting distance and I had a good bead on this one this morning,shot him approx 10 minutes after fly down.I then spent the last 5 hours trucking around with my dad trying to get on more birds as I am tagged out for day.This bird weighed 20 lbs 4 oz and a 9" beard with 1" spurs.This is the first bird I have shot with a reflex sight,I paid 28 dollars for it and it's been an excellent find and I am getting another for my 20 gauge today.Home to get dry as it poured rain all day and is hammering now.Browning Bps 12 gauge nwtf,3.5" long beard 5"s and a gt .675 is deadly on birds.

I cant get pictures to load,says they are to big.....I will be toting my tc encore 20 gauge single shot the next few days....What a great opening morning!!!!