OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Time for a new vest....

Started by RED NECK, March 24, 2018, 06:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

tha bugman

I have never even tried a tactical tat'r on.  Does it have Molle loops so you can reposition the compartments?  I see that a lot of folks like them but what is the selling point for those that use them?  Comfort?  Pockets?  All of the above?

RED NECK

I sent it back,I wasn't fully happy with it.I think it is well built and a solid vest.I prefer other types of vests.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

ezmorningrebel

Quote from: tha bugman on April 13, 2018, 11:10:01 AM
I have never even tried a tactical tat'r on.  Does it have Molle loops so you can reposition the compartments?  I see that a lot of folks like them but what is the selling point for those that use them?  Comfort?  Pockets?  All of the above?

no the pockets can't be moved around.  the biggest selling point is probably the quality of the vest itself.  just way better quality than a lot of the cheap vests.  the seat cushion has some nice dense foam in it that won't bottom out when you sit down.  it's got big interior mesh pockets which some people really want.  i just wasn't as much a fan of the layout as i was others.

tha bugman

Quote from: ezmorningrebel on April 13, 2018, 11:14:36 AM
Quote from: tha bugman on April 13, 2018, 11:10:01 AM

no the pockets can't be moved around.  the biggest selling point is probably the quality of the vest itself.  just way better quality than a lot of the cheap vests.  the seat cushion has some nice dense foam in it that won't bottom out when you sit down.  it's got big interior mesh pockets which some people really want.  i just wasn't as much a fan of the layout as i was others.
yeah, just from pics I don't really like the layout, but a majority of the folks that I have talked to that have them absolutely love them! :z-flirtysmile3:

cwb04

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 10, 2018, 08:08:07 AM
Who is running the alps grand slam vest? how is the pocket layout on the inside?are they zippered? I can get this vest quickly and for almost the same price as the gobbler 2.I am aware it may be heavier with the frame and legs but I will rid the vest of them if they do not work for me.I am only worried about the pockets and their layout.Seems that this vest has amazing reviews and is the "granddaddy" of them all.

I am wearing the Alps GS and absolutely love it.  It is very well made.  Pockets galore, but not sure there will be enough for everything you tote on a turkey hunt after reading your list you posted.  Everything I need is in my GS and the vest is well thought out as far as being user friendly.  I carry a wing, pruners and turkey tote in the back, has slots for water bottles (or thermocell) on each side, I carry a box call, slate call, glass call, 2 strikers, a call conditioner stick, box call chalk and sandpaper for the glass call, flashlight, crow call and typically 5 or 6 mouth calls, 2 pairs of gloves and 2 headnets, one of those $0.99 rain ponchos for when I get caught and of course an ample amount of T.P.  I carry the poncho and T.P in the slot made for a hydration bladder.  There is a place for everything and everything in its place.  Pockets are zippered and looks like these will hold up for quite awhile.  All zippers have handy loops.  Vest is very adjustable for size with 4 adjustments (2 on each side) and the 3 connections in the front are also adjustable. I took the Frame out for hunting here in MS as finding a tree is not a problem on the places I hunt.  I will definitely put the frame back in when hunting KS or NE.  Very easy to remove the frame and put it back in - probably takes less then 3 or 4 minutes.  The seat cushion on this vest is extremely comfortable.  Not sure how it could be any better.  I hunted a Super Elite for years and loved it - no complaints.  Zippers started failing after about 6 or 7 years so I went ahead and upgraded to the Alps this year.  Hunted a dozen times and absolutely love it.  Don't think you can go wrong with this vest.  Big thumbs up!

RED NECK

I may be carrying even more as I found a couple new pot calls on clearance for cheap and picked them up.I like my custom calls but I am pretty impressed with the primos jackpot and the knight n hale aluminum long spur.

cwb04

Forgot to mention, obviously I carry 4 or 5 shotgun shells!  Always have my truck keys in the pockets when I take the shells out to hunt. 

RED NECK

I carry 3 shells if I am toting my single shot and 4 if I carry a pump.I am superstitious,and I need to carry what I have listed,it just like when i played jr hockey...superstitious consumes me.....

RED NECK

It comes down to the Alps Super Elite 4.0 or the Primos Gobbler 2 as the new vest for this season.I am keeping both of them no matter what.

cwb04

I hear you on the superstitious part!  I need all the help I can get.  I was a baseball guy until I was 26 and I have two daughters so I started coaching High School Fast-pitch softball 10 years ago.  They always kinda look at me crazy when were on a streak and I tell them I'm wearing the same socks and drawers!  lol.

I guess my shell count is 4.  Three in the pump and 1 in the vest.  Guess its always been that way!

The Super Elite I had was a great vest so if they are anything like they used to be you'll enjoy it.  Mine had zip out sleeves which were great for hunting the Midwest.  Got it on sale for $39.99.  I should have bought the whole rack of them!

tha bugman

Quote from: cwb04 on April 13, 2018, 03:53:04 PM
I hear you on the superstitious part!  I need all the help I can get.  I was a baseball guy until I was 26 and I have two daughters so I started coaching High School Fast-pitch softball 10 years ago.  They always kinda look at me crazy when were on a streak and I tell them I'm wearing the same socks and drawers!  lol.

I guess my shell count is 4.  Three in the pump and 1 in the vest.  Guess its always been that way!

The Super Elite I had was a great vest so if they are anything like they used to be you'll enjoy it.  Mine had zip out sleeves which were great for hunting the Midwest.  Got it on sale for $39.99.  I should have bought the whole rack of them!
I traded for a Super Elite that you described above that I saw someone on here had advertised in the classifieds.  I had one when they first came out and sold it and regretted it!  been hunting out of it since it came in the mail last week, this one will be with me until it falls apart!   ;D

RED NECK

So,you have and like the super elite 4.0?I think I just spent the last money on turkey equipment for this year,I purchased a new thermacell and some refills and another mouth call on clearance.

Tail Feathers

Kid, you are obsessing. :TooFunny:
I hope your season starts soon, you need to be in the woods! :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RED NECK

I have 11 days to kill before it starts,I went this morning and checked out a few of my spots,even though we are in the middle of a winter snowstorm,the birds were fired up.

I hate not being able to try all the vests before buying,but I am content with the ones on the way,if for some reason they do not work.I will use my LL bean and be happy.I still have a few guns I want to pattern,I am just waiting on ammo to arrive and will pattern them next week,weekend.