OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Time for a new vest....  (Read 43920 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Time for a new vest....
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:58:02 PM »
I have been thinking about trying a new vest this year,I have it narrowed down to these three as my choices.Do any of you have experience with any of these vests.

-Primos Generation 2 gobbler vest
-ALPS OutdoorZ NWTF Impact Turkey Vest
-ALPS OutdoorZ NWTF Grand Slam Turkey Vest

I am not a new turkey hunter or a new member.I lost my password and had to start a new account.....No way to try these locally....I will be ordering online....Thanks for the info.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Time for a new vest....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 08:27:52 PM »
I love the type of seat the impact uses they are so light comfortable and versitial. Votes there

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Online Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »
I don't have any experience with either of those but for what it's worth if I were buying a new one today it would be a second Cabela's Tactical Tater ll.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 09:33:03 PM »
I just got an ALPS Grandslam and it seems to be well made. I haven't used it in the woods yet but the recliner and the pad are really comfortable sitting on the livingroom floor for extended periods. The pockets are well placed and there are enough of them to carry pretty much anything you need. It has shell loops which some others don't. It's comfortable to wear and the legs seem to be surprisingly compact. I don't think they'll be a problem in the woods.
Another surprise is that they don't interfere with slinging a gun. Some of the vests have a crossbar that goes from one leg to the other. My thought is that that crossbar would interfere with sitting tight against a tree. This vest doesn't have that crossbar, so if you're against a smaller tree, you'll be able to snuggle in real close. I'm not sure if that'll be a huge benefit, but I think it may be helpful in certain situations.
Before I bought the vest, I had looked at a bunch and to be truthful, I didn't think I'd like this one. A buddy got one and I went to his house to try it. Before I left, I had his and he had ordered another one!

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 10:18:05 PM »
I am limited to my choices due to being relatively small (at least apparently when compared to other turkey hunters)....  Most vests fit me like some sort of a "turkey dress."

I ended up purchasing the Cabela's orginal Tat'r....  I feel it is a good vest...

I was fortunate to find someone with the vest before ordering, so even though he had a larger size, I was able to predict that a smaller size would work for me...  I tried a number of well known turkey vests (at different sporting good shops or fellow hunters), and realized my options were limited.  But I did find that being able to look at, touch, and investigate the vest was of some benefit.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 10:41:56 PM »
I have tried or owned my share and currently own a few different vests.I listed the three that I did because those are what I am interested in and have it narrowed down too.I am leaning towards the primos vest as I like a "vest" instead of the "strapped" vests.I am currently hunting with a vest from ll bean that I really like and have been for 6 years.I have an older primos gobbler vest and the strapped vest as well,I purchased and sold a limbhanger vest within a week last winter.

I am picky with turkey vests and I have only found one that I really like out of the dozen I have owned and dozens I have tried on...Thanks for all the info.

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
I bought an Alps grand slam this year. Our season hasn't started yet, so I haven't hunted out of it yet, but I do like the pocket layout and it's really comfortable to sit in. The vest seems to be well built as well. This is my first kickstand style vest and I think I'm going to like it.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »
My season will not start for a month from today.I did look into the Cabelas tactical tat'r 2 as well and it has had very good reviews other than no shell loops...I use single shots and have shell pads on all my guns...so that isnt a concern.My concern with a new vest is that I will not have a solid place to carry my little permafocus bushnell binos and my face mask and gloves.The ll bean vest has phenomenal pocket layout for everything.,the only downside to my vest is that it gets hot as the season goes on.I am not sure the vest i buy with take over as my favorite.

I think it is funny that a vest is so hard to choose but for myself,It has been a less than great success rate.I would only buy the ll bean vest again out of all the ones I have owned.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 07:57:40 AM »
Normally get a new vest every year or every other year. Used the Grand Slam last season and have no intention of switching anytime soon.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »
I may place the order for the Cabela's tactical tatr 2 model.It is on sale right now and I have thought about it in the past.I like the look of the alps vests,I think if I went that way I would shy away from the kickstand.I really do not need or want the extra weight from them.The vest looks great though and I have had a few of their packs in the past,solid company for sure.

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
Looked at many, ended up with Knights and Hale RNG 300. Season starts next weekend but I like it so far

Offline bamahunter

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »
Vest i'm using till it warms up is the alpz grand slam, got on sale last year before season and have loved it... got one of Glenda's bags for when it finally warms up. :)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 08:37:41 AM »
Looked at many, ended up with Knights and Hale RNG 300. Season starts next weekend but I like it so far
The vest looks great,I can't seem to find out much info on pocket layout on it.I do like the look and Idea behind it.

Offline Tony Hawkins

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 08:43:35 AM »
I've had the original Primos Gobbler vest for like 10 years, and it is still in perfect shape. I love how the seat magnets up, and I like the layout. Looks like they changed the slate call pockets a little on the 2.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 08:45:24 AM »
The R n' G 300 looks like a great vest,I just checked out another video.How big and spacious are the pockets in the front behind the pot call holders and the on the right side? are they big enough for a pair of 8x25 permafocus binos?