OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reading again-- THE OLD PRO TURKEY HUNTER.

Started by quavers59, March 24, 2018, 09:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Morning members. I bought this book by Gene Nunnery in the above title late last Winter and am once again reading it. I live in New York- so I have some time. May 1st is the New York opening date and April 23rd for New Jersey.   How many people here have this timeless book by Gene Nunnery? 4 old pro Turkey hunters with over 200 years of knowledge between them!     Not a rich guy here--good but glad I spent the 50 bucks for it.  My 29th Spring Season starts soon and I have more free time this Spring! I am buying a good 4 or 5 tags in New Jersey and I have the 2 for New York. Some members on HuntingNY.com have bad cabin fever after these 4 NorEasters we got! 

Laloom83

Quote from: quavers59 on March 24, 2018, 09:05:01 AM
Some members on HuntingNY.com have bad cabin fever after these 4 NorEasters we got!

I haven't read this book but will definitely look into it. I've got several of Tom Kelly's books that I love.  I hear you on the cabin fever. I'm in Connecticut but originally from Mississippi and I'm so sick of the snow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quavers59

Jim Casadas site is a good place to get the  Nunnnery book. I only have 1 Tom Kelly book-- FACES IN THE CROWD.

1iagobblergetter

Gene Nunnery is a good author. I enjoyed reading his books... His other book I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills is another good read... :icon_thumright:

wislnwings

I'm 3/4 of the way through reading this book right now.

Bennett

Definitely a classic. I wish everyone that hunts would read it and maybe our fine sport would get back on track. I'm pretty sure Mr. Nunnery wouldn't approve of many of the tactics used today.

Sir-diealot

I am also in NY and going crazy waiting for the season, my GF and dog are already sick of me messing around with my calls. I do not have the book your mentioned but I have been reading lots of turkey magazines and am also starting The Book of the Wild Turkey by Lovett E. Williams Jr. to learn some stuff and hold me off until the season starts.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dswmsn

I have a pretty extensive library of turkey books and Gene Nunnery's T.O.P.T.H. is definitely my favorite.  Also, the three "Truth" series books by Ronnie "Cuz"  Strickland are really good reading. I agree with Reply #5 by "Bennett", if all Turkey hunters followed Gene Nunnery's "rules" for  turkey hunting it would be a better sport. I personally am not too fond of some methods used by some turkey hunters today, but to each their own as long as its legal I suppose.

Laloom83

Quote from: quavers59 on March 24, 2018, 10:13:08 AM
Jim Casadas site is a good place to get the  Nunnnery book. I only have 1 Tom Kelly book-- FACES IN THE CROWD.

I couldn't handle it I had to order a copy from Jim Casadas site! Thanks for the recommendation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quavers59

I find myself also getting  back to my Turkey Hunting roots. Back against a Hickory tree in the open Hardwoods and using a Box Caller or Pot mostly. I still will hit the fields though if it is overcast or raining slightly.  I kind of wish that there were 4 old-time master Turkey Hunters in New York where I started I. 1990. Gene Nunnery must have learned so much from each!!   

wbyman

One of my all time favorites!!! Great story telling and descriptive writing. You can't go wrong with his books.

I highly recommend reading Old Pro...
"Control your destiny, or someone else will"

Sir-diealot

Could I get a link to that site? Google search only shows a site that sells no books on turkey hunting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

quavers59

I also find it very interesting that the 1st of the 4 Turkey Hunting Masters- Gabe Meadow only used one call. A short series of cutting and not too loud on a scratch box rubbed against a hunk of Slate. I might try this and see how it sounds different from using the wood striker. 

Laloom83

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 25, 2018, 01:12:14 AM
Could I get a link to that site? Google search only shows a site that sells no books on turkey hunting.

http://jimcasadaoutdoors.com/books-new-old-rare/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smooth_Operator

I've got a pile of turkey related books, I start reading them after Jan 1st to get ready for spring. And each year I find myself saving Old Pro for last, because it is my absolute favorite. Great Read...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."