OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who uses lead sleds

Started by Fl strutter, March 24, 2018, 05:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutstopper

We always use one when we sight in or check zero on any of our guns. I have never had any issues with broken/damaged guns, scopes, or mounts. We've never had poa/poi issues either.

land cruiser

Older models are clunky, newer are very well-thought-out. I never had a problem with any guns or scopes and I've been shooting with one for about 8 years now. I suppose a scope from a department store may have an issue with contained recoil but it can also have the same problem if you sneeze over it.

Tennessee Lead

I would like to have one for shooting multiple shots checking patterns with various load and choke combos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

I bought a Primos Group Therapy bench rest.  It is already heavy, but it can take lead or sand bags on the trays.  It's very adjustable,  fits alot of weapon styles and the best part?  60 bucks as opposed to at least double that for a Caldwell.   We sight in EVERYTHING on it.  Even xbows.  I did put a piece of closed cell foam in the stock cradle to eliminate any chance of damaging optics or stocks.  Never see a point change from the rest to shoulder. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Tony Hawkins

I use the Lead Sled DFT for shotguns and rifles. I don't always add weight to the tray, and have not had any stock cracking or change in poi up to 300 Wby Mag. The DFT is pretty heavy just by itsself.
If I had one of those remote trigger pullers I could totally take human error out of sighting in.
I will agree that you will go through more shells!

NJGobblerHunter

I use my lead sled without any weights.

longbeards

I have used a Lead Sled for about 15 years. I also use two 25pd steel lifting weights as its anchor.
Have shot dozens of turkey guns off of it and there is no difference in point of impact that I can detect.
I also have used it for tons of rifles with no effect noted.

I will say that if you have a pistol stocked shot gun it is difficult to get to sit straight...but other then that I love my lead sled. I am lucky enough to have a 100 yd range here at the house and I let it sit on shooting bench year round. It is starting to show signs of wear, on my second set of pads and they are almost gone...some rust!

Best
Longbeards

Fl strutter

longbeards

I have been using the lead sled for 12 or so years,,,, sighted in
Dozens of guns over the years and never an issue!!
I give it a big two thumbs up!!

iloutdoorsman

For what it's worth Ive used one many times. I think they are ok for rough sight in and testing loads. However I'd do final zero without. I have had my POI change using one compared to not using one. I prefer final zero to be close as possible to how I'll be hunting most of the time with said weapon.

HookedonHooks

There's a big difference between a gun sled and a gun vice. A gun vice (often mistaken as a wgun sled though) locks the gun in. This is when problems are known to arise, because there is not enough transfer of energy leaving the gun, this scopes get permanently thrown off, stocks break, and other potential issues.

A gun sled will allow the gun some movement and  should be used more for steadying a gun and reducing the recoil (sight in purposes) while the vice is for working on guns like mounting a scope or a red dot.