OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: coyote call  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Life of Riley

coyote call
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:27:53 AM »
I was just wondering what you guys thought about using a coyote call as a locator? I know the areas I hunt in MN, SD, and WI all have lots of coyotes around. I'm just wondering if I should order a call or forget it.

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: coyote call
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 01:11:32 AM »
I know few folks who are very successful with coyote calls.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 01:25:46 AM »
I have always heard that they are good for putting them to bed the night before but not to use them when hunting because it can cause them to stay in the tree longer or to not respond to or come into calls as well if at all because they think they are being hunted by a coyote. This is just something I have heard for about 19 years but I have no in field proof because I have not used them because of the a fore mentioned reason.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline wade

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 12:18:46 PM »
I've been thinking about one myself. Which ones are best? Anyone have any suggestions?
Do it outdoors

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 12:39:46 PM »
If your interested in a diaphragm howler, I  can help ya out there.
Just throwing it out to ya.
Mark

Offline wade

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:01:33 PM »
I don't know what I want. I was hoping someone would recommend a good one.
Do it outdoors

Offline Oxley777

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 04:36:38 PM »
I have always heard that they are good for putting them to bed the night before but not to use them when hunting because it can cause them to stay in the tree longer or to not respond to or come into calls as well if at all because they think they are being hunted by a coyote. This is just something I have heard for about 19 years but I have no in field proof because I have not used them because of the a fore mentioned reason.
I bought a haydels. It has taken a little practice to get the sound right but like it now. I haven't used it in the field yet. I bought it because I got out early to my listening spot last spring. About 50 minutes before sunrise and about 20 minutes before normal gobbling time in my area. Been there about 5 minutes and a coyote sounded off. One gobbled about 250 yards away. Allowed my to locate and set up on him. Killed him about 6:50. I don't think he would have gobbled that early on his own. I hadn't thought about it but I think what Sir-diealot said is prob good advice. Be good for putting em to bed. Not sure if I want to use in the morning or not.