turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ithaca Turkeyslayer Federal 3” TSS 9s

Started by Gumby, March 23, 2018, 09:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumby

One shot out of my Ithaca Turkeyslayer at 40yards. Choke is the factory Briley .675

I did not change point of aim/impact for this load. I usually shoot Hevi13 6s with this gun. Today I simply wanted to see what the TSS 3" 9s would do at 40 yards. One shot. Got 205ish in the 10". Not a high number at all but a very even pattern. One thing with this gun and factory Briley choke combo that I gave notice through the years is that it can't match the high 10" numbers of some of my other guns, but it throws the most amazing and even hunting patterns I have ever seen in my guns. Feedback welcomed.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Gumby on March 23, 2018, 09:24:21 PM
One shot out of my Ithaca Turkeyslayer at 40yards. Choke is the factory Briley .675

I did not change point of aim/impact for this load. I usually shoot Hevi13 6s with this gun. Today I simply wanted to see what the TSS 3" 9s would do at 40 yards. One shot. Got 205ish in the 10". Not a high number at all but a very even pattern. One thing with this gun and factory Briley choke combo that I gave notice through the years is that it can't match the high 10" numbers of some of my other guns, but it throws the most amazing and even hunting patterns I have ever seen in my guns. Feedback welcomed.

That's a killing combo for sure. Good luck with it.

Gumby

Quote from: Dr Juice on March 23, 2018, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: Gumby on March 23, 2018, 09:24:21 PM

That's a killing combo for sure. Good luck with it.

Thank you

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

roverboy

Looks good. Ain't nothing wrong with that.
Listen for the gobble

knifeshark

Quote from: roverboy on March 25, 2018, 07:18:18 PM
Looks good. Ain't nothing wrong with that.
I have one of these, that I bought over 20 years ago. It's nice to see something that shoots a TSS shell that well. I have a box of TSS number seven shot,I'm going to give that a try with my Briley .675 choke , and see how that shoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waynesworld23

To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Brs2427

That's what I likr is a good even hunting pattern I would be scared to hunt with some of the other patterns I have seen on this site, they just wouldn't have any room for error if you had a 15 or 20 yard shot. I missed a bird at 10 to12 yards a few years back and I always pattern close shots as we'll know just to see what I am working with. That's a great number at forty, I love the Ithaca's

BandedSpur

Even or not, that's at least 100/10 short of what it should be. No use paying the price for TSS with no more pattern density than that IMO.

Gumby

Quote from: BandedSpur on May 17, 2018, 08:18:31 AM
Even or not, that's at least 100/10 short of what it should be. No use paying the price for TSS with no more pattern density than that IMO.

Agree. This was just a shot at 40 to see where it was at. I suspect the point of impact is off from my point of aim. I shoot Hevi6s and didn't wanna change my setup. I think the numbers would go way up if I adjusted sights

mspaci

Is this a hand load or factory? From what I hear the hand loads do well with this choke but the factory like a tighter choke? MIke

Gumby

Quote from: mspaci on May 18, 2018, 07:59:23 AM
Is this a hand load or factory? From what I hear the hand loads do well with this choke but the factory like a tighter choke? MIke

Federal load

edward.penny

Very even pattern. That is what I look for also. Not so much big numbers but a even pattern.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

mspaci

I finally hand loaded some, with the factory choke & 9`s it was right about 300 at 40. It was only 40 deg. Nice & even, will try again this weekend, super cleaned the barrel & temps in 60`s. I shot further but know we cant talk about it. Mike

edward.penny

Good even pattern. That is what I like to see.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk