turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20ga. auto question...which one?

Started by sswv, March 23, 2018, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BINK McCARTY

Also, Remington 11-87 Sportsman MFG # 29827/ 20/26"/black synthetic-black matte finish/obviously uses Rem chokes,and I've found them as low as $460. Again,hope this helps!!!

sswv

good info BINK and thanks for the opinions everyone. I'm leaning towards the 11-87 with the 21" barrel. Already have chokes for it so that's a plus. Curious? will the ShurShot stock interchange with the 870, 1100 and the 11-87?

Jbird22

Why no love for the Weatherby SA-08? My son has the Youth model and it's a sweet little gun. I always see the SA-459 mentioned but never the SA-08. Just curious as to why that is...

g8rvet

Quote from: Jbird22 on March 29, 2018, 12:17:00 PM
Why no love for the Weatherby SA-08? My son has the Youth model and it's a sweet little gun. I always see the SA-459 mentioned but never the SA-08. Just curious as to why that is...
Probably because a lot of folks are asking about turkey only guns (and a lot want or like the pistol grip).  If I was considering a gun to do more than turkey hunting, then an SA-08 would have been on my list.  But I wanted the pistol grip and the sights and since those were already on the 459, I never even looked at the 08.  But heck, it is the same gun really. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

FL-Boss

If you are looking for a 20GA auto as a dedicated turkey gun, it's going to be hard to beat the SA-459.   Mossberg SA-20 Turkey is a little cheaper and is a close 2nd.

Jbird22

Quote from: g8rvet on March 29, 2018, 12:33:29 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on March 29, 2018, 12:17:00 PM
Probably because a lot of folks are asking about turkey only guns (and a lot want or like the pistol grip).  If I was considering a gun to do more than turkey hunting, then an SA-08 would have been on my list.  But I wanted the pistol grip and the sights and since those were already on the 459, I never even looked at the 08.  But heck, it is the same gun really. 
Yeah I get that but if you look at the Benelli users, way more seem to prefer the regular stock than the steady grip stock. It appears to be quite the opposite when it comes to the Weatherby's. I guess the shorter barrel, pistol grip, and availability in camo make it more appealing. You're right though, they're the same gun just different options.

Buford

I have the 11-87 20 gauge in mo camo in the youth size with the replaceable butt pad, 21 inch barrel. It's never given me any trouble. Had it about three years. Shoots great with hw7 or longbeards. I had it drilled and tapted for ff3. I think you can find pistol grip stocks for it or maybe get it from remington. I don't understand why they don't drill and tap from factory. That's also why I like mossberg, they do drill and tap from factory. The 870 is less maintance, but the 11-87 isn't that bad. It's sure nice to have a second or third shot very fast!!! It's a great weapon. Iam thinking about keeping it by the bed at nite.   Buford

aaronc53

Quote from: sswv on March 29, 2018, 11:36:59 AM
good info BINK and thanks for the opinions everyone. I'm leaning towards the 11-87 with the 21" barrel. Already have chokes for it so that's a plus. Curious? will the ShurShot stock interchange with the 870, 1100 and the 11-87?
The 870 20 gauge SureShot  stock will fit an 11-87. 

sswv

thanks aaronc53.  that is good to know.  I'm looking for a 11-87 now. nothing on the shelf anywhere near me as far as I know but I'll be patient and one will pop up.  might get a deal on a used one after season.  it's not a need thing, more of a want thing.