OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Benelli SBE II and hevi 6s.  (Read 6418 times)

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
Benelli SBE II and hevi 6s.
« on: March 23, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »
Idk why this one never got put back up but I posted this a couple years ago.

SBE II. 24" bbl, pure gold .670, hevi shot 3.5/2.25/6.   It reads 7s but it was actually 6s.  For some weird reason, she only did about 10% better with the 7s so the 6s and HW 7s is about all I feed her.   
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Benelli SBE II and hevi 6s.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:39:28 AM »
250 with H-13 6's is smoking, my SBEII 24" barrel will push upper 180's-190 with H-13 6's and a RR final strut .660.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 09:00:32 AM »
250 with H-13 6's is smoking, my SBEII 24" barrel will push upper 180's-190 with H-13 6's and a RR final strut .660.

I was impressed too!  Weird how she doesn't do much better with the 7s though, especially seeing as there's about 70 pellets more per ounce.  The 6s are pretty hot in the core, where the 7s definitely are very even, but a much more dispersed pattern.  I wouldn't run the 7s past 40, but the 6s?  If I misjudge the range or he hangs up a bit further out?  Those 6s are gonna be poison.   

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »
That's a strong pattern!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 03:37:13 AM »

I get that with the HW 7s and a longbeard choke. 

Offline Oxley777

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
Awesome pattern! I have a 24" SBE2 also. Thinking about trying your setup. Which Puregold choke do you have? Ported or nonported?

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 12:37:01 AM »

What constriction choke do you get these #s with the HW 7s....I'm assuming you are talking about the original Federal Heavyweight loads? 15g/cc ??
I'm SOLD on this load and am trying to get that kind of pattern with this EXACT gun!!!! Ant advice would be helpful!!!!

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 01:54:45 PM »

What constriction choke do you get these #s with the HW 7s....I'm assuming you are talking about the original Federal Heavyweight loads? 15g/cc ??
I'm SOLD on this load and am trying to get that kind of pattern with this EXACT gun!!!! Ant advice would be helpful!!!!

The Carlson's Longbeard choke.  Can't remember the constriction but it seems to just shoot almost everything well, which is nice because I went through a BUNCH of chome/load combos until I found the P.G. .670/hevi combo.  Idk why but the flight control wad seems to really perform well in the LB cboke, inner wad rings and all...

Offline PineyRooster

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:43:15 AM »

The Carlson's Longbeard choke.  Can't remember the constriction but it seems to just shoot almost everything well, which is nice because I went through a BUNCH of chome/load combos until I found the P.G. .670/hevi combo.  Idk why but the flight control wad seems to really perform well in the LB cboke, inner wad rings and all...

that interesting considering the flight control wad isn't supposed to do well in a ported choke... I have the same choke and several boxes of hvywt 7s guess I need to give it a try.. just curious but how does the wad look after being shot through this choke?

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »

that interesting considering the flight control wad isn't supposed to do well in a ported choke... I have the same choke and several boxes of hvywt 7s guess I need to give it a try.. just curious but how does the wad look after being shot through this choke?

Just...squashed a bit honestly.   Not torn up at all.  The "wad stoppers" in the longbeard chokes are nothing like in other chokes like pattermaster.  Theyre rings staggered along the constriction area of the choke.  Seem almost gentle on FC wads but nonetheless they work.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 09:23:59 PM »

What gun are you shooting? And its the Carlsons choke for longbeards??? Not the Trulock???

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »
Doesn't seem to matter WHAT gun, they shoot well in all my guns and I'm running 4 different brands/models and yes the CARLSON'S

Offline gesthuntn

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 07:49:13 PM »
That is a very uniform pattern. I would love to get a choke and she'll that patterns like that.