OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scope rail coming loose.

Started by rcleofly, March 25, 2018, 08:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcleofly

This year I decided to go with a Tru-Glo red dot sight on my Remington Versa Max. I recently applied blue lock tite on the screws for the scope rail. I let dry for two weeks. Shooting 3-1/2" heavy shot. Yesterday while sighting in the gun. I noticed one screw was completely gone and 3 others have come completely loose. What options do I have other then lock tight? Does anyone else experience this? I know turkey loads kick. But I torqued the screws to manufacturers specs, applied the lock tight and gave plenty of set time. I'm a little frustrated and at a lose here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

That's some serious recoil, but you should be able to get it to work.  A couple of suggestions.  Make sure that all metal contact areas are very clean and completely degreased, and that the loctite is well shaken to mix it before applying.  Also, maybe just the way you worded it, but it sounds like you torqued the screws and then applied the loctite when it should be the other way around:  clean everything, shake loctite, apply to threads, torque down, let set.

rcleofly

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 25, 2018, 10:07:34 AM
That's some serious recoil, but you should be able to get it to work.  A couple of suggestions.  Make sure that all metal contact areas are very clean and completely degreased, and that the loctite is well shaken to mix it before applying.  Also, maybe just the way you worded it, but it sounds like you torqued the screws and then applied the loctite when it should be the other way around:  clean everything, shake loctite, apply to threads, torque down, let set.
Lol I definitely did word that backwards.

turkeyinstrut

I have found that blue silicone gasket maker that you get in auto parts stores works just as good if not better than loctite but like RV said, make sure there is no oil in the threaded holes or the threads on the screws.

rcleofly

Thanks guys.