OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stuck choke

Started by cjordan, March 22, 2018, 07:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjordan

Aright gentlemen I know it's been talked about before several times on here but I could use some advise.
I've got a flush mounted choke stuck in a 935 barrel. I have let it sit in a jar of kroil over night so hopefully that'll help. Yesterday I had a buddy helping me but I'll be by myself on it today.

With that being said what is the best way to hold the barrel without crushing, mashing, or deforming it?

We had a strap wrench on it yesterday and unfortunately bent the rib where the strap went around it.
I was able to spin the choke about half a turn yesterday by using an ez out and hitting the wrench with a hammer "impact".

Also this thing has a 28" barrel, and I noticed about the last 4" or so the barrel has a uniform bulge in it. I done some research on that and from wht I've read it's normal on that gun. Does this sound right to y'all?

KentuckyLB

That bulge does not sound normal, I had a 935 magnum 8 years ago or so and it did not have no bulge. I would cut them 4 inches off and have it rethreaded..imho

taylorjones20

Do you mean that the end of barrel gets a little bigger than the rest?  I've seen that to be normal on a lot of guns with screw in chokes.  But I don't have that gun so I can't say for sure on yours.  The overnight soak in kroil should get it free. 

My buddy bough a used maxus and the flush factory full choke was stuck in it.  Kroil, choke wrench, and patience got it out without problem.

Good luck!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

cjordan

Yes sir about the last 4" of the barrel is a little bigger than the bottom 24" of the barrel.
I took this thing in on a trade knowing there was some issues with the gun. I tore it apart ordered the needed parts got it back together then that's when I found out about the choke.

I did finally get the choke out a few minutes ago. Between the over night soak in kroil, a bench vise, and a propane torch it finally broke loose. It was still pretty rough the whole way out. I wasn't real thrilled about the vise nor the torch but was to the point of if I mess it up then I was going to have to send it to Mr.William anyhow.
Also popping the wrench with the hammer wouldn't work which was really surprising, I ended up having to put a lot of pressure on he wrench and hold it for a little bit then it finally broke loose

Rem Man

On that gun the barrel tapers like that for patterning I believe.

bbcoach

Jordan, I just looked at my 28" 835 Waterfowl barrel and I believe you are correct.  The area from the muzzle brake forward is slightly larger.  I'm suspecting it's machined that way to compensate for the removal of the ID metal for the choke attachment.  My vent rib posts are taller in the middle of the barrel and get a lot shorter toward the end of the barrel.  This leads me to believe you are correct, No Bulge.  A caliper check of the OD of the barrel should verify.  PB Blaster and maybe a little heat may release that choke.  If it has a camoed barrel, you maybe able to direct some heat inside the barrel with a heat gun or a hairdryer.   

Duh, just read your entire post from this morning.  I still stand by the No Bulge post though.  If you have some calipers, check behind the muzzle brake and then forward and that should give you an answer.

This post should be a reminder to all of us to use a little choke lube on all our screw in chokes.  Any moisture that gets between the steel barrel and stainless chokes will cause problems.

cjordan

I've always wiped a real thin coat of clp on the threads before screwing the choke in, so with this gun being bought used this was my first time to ever mess with it. Even with using the clp there has been a couple of times that the choke wanted to be a little stubborn coming out. I've decided to veto the thin coat of oil on all of my shotguns, I pull the chokes out of all of them yesterday and wiped a thin coat of copper coat on the threads then screwed the chokes back in. We will see how well that works.
I don't wish a seized choke on my worst enemy lol.

Old Gobbler

I might have to ask members to contribute to making a "stuck barrel thread " would be benificial for the rest of us

Talked to William a few weeks ago and he does do quite a few barrel jobs , cut down and re-thread and unstuck choke etc...

Many models of guns the outside diameter tapers up gradually in the last few inches so that there is enough material to cut and thread so that a choke system can be installed

But with all you have been through with that gun I suggest you have a qualified gunsmith take a good look at to make sore it's legit
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

yella yelper

I put a dab of breach plug grease on my chokes before putting them in. No problems since I started that. Need to check to make sure it's still tight periodically though

cjordan

Welp everything is back together, seems as though it was functioning properly. After reading several post on various forms, with folks saying their barrel was the same way I felt pretty good about the barrel. It does seem to be more common with the longer barrels tho for some reason.

Went out and had pretty high hopes of getting some good patterns out of it especially with the 28" barrel but was fairly disappointed.
It's killing patterns at 40 yards but definitely nothing to write home about.

I used Mr.Clarks deep cleaning method, then shot some 3" LB 5's and 6's through an original stardot and ssx. Neither shell in neither choke patterned as well as they do in my 835s with 24" barrels.

I've still got a factory turkey choke, along with some LB 4's to try.
If the 5's and 6's aren't patterning real well out of those two chokes I don't thing it'll do me any good to try the 4's in em, but I might try it anyways.
One thing I'll give this ol gun for sure... the cheek slap that occurs ain't for the faint of heart lol.
After seeing and feeling what happened with those 3" shells I decided to try a 3.5" with the over bored bbl, thinking it might do better, and although it did pattern a little better with the 3.5" shells it wasnt enough to justify the beating.

I have looked at several post in the mossberg picture thread but haven't ran across any with a 28" non ported 935, I only went through 5 or 6 pages so I might have to go further back to find what I'm looking for.

bbcoach

Two things that will help curtail the cheek slap is add a Limbsaver and a Beartooth Comb raising kit to the stock.  I shoot 3 1/2's and I get very little recoil this way. 

cjordan

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 23, 2018, 08:49:05 AM
I might have to ask members to contribute to making a "stuck barrel thread " would be benificial for the rest of us

Talked to William a few weeks ago and he does do quite a few barrel jobs , cut down and re-thread and unstuck choke etc...

Many models of guns the outside diameter tapers up gradually in the last few inches so that there is enough material to cut and thread so that a choke system can be installed

But with all you have been through with that gun I suggest you have a qualified gunsmith take a good look at to make sore it's legit
[/quote

That thread could be very useful, I have read so many different post not only on this site but others as well, where a guy has this problem ask for assistance gets many replies but doesn't ever respond back saying if it's out or not. I can only assume they gave up and tossed the gun in a lake or creek lol. There are many different ways to get a stuck choke out but not all of them will work every time, wht works this time might not work next time. So I do believe as long as an end result is giving the thread could be very helpful.

Also something else that could help out which is nothing to do with this forum just a thought that ran through my head. I know they make barrel  vises for rifles but do they make them for shotguns? One of the biggest issues I can see with a stuck choke is having a way to secure the barrel so you can us the much needed force that is sometimes associated with removing or trying to remove a seized choke.

cjordan

Quote from: bbcoach on March 23, 2018, 12:26:34 PM
Two things that will help curtail the cheek slap is add a Limbsaver and a Beartooth Comb raising kit to the stock.  I shoot 3 1/2's and I get very little recoil this way.
thank you for that Ive got limb savers on my 835's but haven't ever heard of the beartooh comb riser, I'm going to check that out

the Ward

I used to put oil on the choke tube threads years ago and discovered after shooting a bit the oil would carbon up/burn off and would make it harder to remove them. Add a bit of moisture and it becomes a problem. I only use choke tube lube or hi temp anti seize now, cheap insurance.

Twowithone

I used Mr.Clarks deep cleaning method, Call Mr.Clark or go to the website and see what kind of choke he recomends for your Mossberg hes shot them all. I bought a choke off of Clark yrs ago and still use it too this day its got quite a few Gobblers under its belt for sure. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.