OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thad Bright Hand jig  (Read 5586 times)

Offline jwhunter

Thad Bright Hand jig
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:37:56 AM »
so i have been making calls with the hand jig for about 2 years. i feel like i have perfected what i like in a 2 reed. but i cannot for the life of me make a 3 reed call that i like. are you guys stretching the latex the same on a 2 reed and 3 reed? any help.. 256-710-2695 if possible id like to spend some time on the phone with a few of you who are making calls.

Offline Otdrzman

Re: Thad Bright Hand jig
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »
For the most part as far as stacking and reed spacing goes, my two reed and three reed calls are the same. I stretch a three reed call somewhat more. Three reeds usually between .120 to .160 and two reeds generally around .100 or a little less. I like to trim the stinger on my top reeds (batwing or combo cut) so that it is even with the second reed. For me it takes some of the bark out of the call and makes it a little easier to get some high front end on my yelp. I make my calls on a press so you will likely have to double the tension amounts that I use. Keep in mind, this is what works for me. Not all mouthcalls are the same and not all folks run a call the same way. Hope this helps. 

Offline Jbird22

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »
On a hand stretcher, start at .250 and go from there.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:12:54 AM »
I'd advise you start lower than .25. That's where I started and almost quit because I never made a useable call until I read a post from Joe Slaton on here advising lower tension for a hand jig stretched call. Just my experience

Offline Otdrzman

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 08:12:14 AM »
so i have been making calls with the hand jig for about 2 years. i feel like i have perfected what i like in a 2 reed. but i cannot for the life of me make a 3 reed call that i like. are you guys stretching the latex the same on a 2 reed and 3 reed? any help.. 256-710-2695 if possible id like to spend some time on the phone with a few of you who are making calls.

How far are you stretching the latex on your two reed calls that sound good to you? Just curious.

Offline jwhunter

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »
range is  .180-.225 seems to be my preferred stretch on the hand jig.

Offline OldSwamper

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »
I just got started with thad’s Handjig and found a 2-Reed I like at .250 and .230.  I tried .270 but too high pitch.  Gonna try some lower stretches to compare based on above posts

Offline Zeke6685

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 01:18:01 PM »
I just got a hand jig last month, right around .250 is what has been working best for me on a 3 reed.