OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rainy day friction calls.....

Started by Trevor2, April 19, 2011, 06:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

I was told that you can use a glass friction call with a carbon striker in the rain.....WRONG! I tried this last friday and it sounded good till the surface got completely wet. Had to resort to the mouth call for the entire day. My buddy has tried an aluminum with a carbon striker and had the same results. Now my question is could you maybe use an aluminum friction call and an aluminum striker in the rain and get a sound with a wet call and what is a good aluminum call? :help:
Strutstopper

Scout24

Not sure about aluminum calls but you can run your glass/ crystal calls fine in the rain with the right synthetic striker. A few that work well for me (tested under the kitchen faucet) are the Cane Creek Cottonmouth, Woods Wise Mystic series and some of the all plastic strikers from Quaker Boy. All three work fine on crystal but just put an aluminum under the faucet on only the Woods Wise worked.

TRKYHTR

I've put standing water on a glass and used a carbon striker and it worked just fine. The glass has to be scuffed up really good but it should still work. I've never tried an aluminum striker on an aluminum call.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Trevor2

Thanks guys... I had just scuffed up the glass on mine so idk what was up. Mine is a woodhaven NWTF series glass
Strutstopper

West Augusta

Aluminum oxidizes almost instantly when wet. Stick with glass, crystal, or ceramic in the rain.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

kenturkey89

Quote from: West Augusta on April 19, 2011, 07:24:15 PM
Aluminum oxidizes almost instantly when wet. Stick with glass, crystal, or ceramic in the rain.

X2
Brian

3inchstrutbuster

corian tipped striker cant be beat on wet rainy days

savduck

I have several aluminum tipped strikers. They will play on glass and crystal just fine in the rain. My question is why would  you want to do so. My custom pot calls are to nice to soak em in water when i can use my mouth call.
Georgia Boy

Trevor2

Savduck I don't have to worry bout that my glass calls aren't custom
Strutstopper

JUGHEAD

Quote from: 3inchstrutbuster on April 19, 2011, 10:03:56 PM
where could one get a corian tipped striker?  New to oldgobbler so if there are sources here I wouldn't know where to find them.  I'm also interested in getting a nice walnut striker for use with a custom copper pot.  Thanks!

WNY Bowhunter

Sounds like I may have to pick up ones of these corian strikers too...
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

TauntoHawk

my wood wise wet stick works on crystal, slate, aluminum, and ceramic in the rain. is ALWAYS in my vest and worth its weight in spurs
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3inchstrutbuster

Quote from: JUGHEAD on April 22, 2011, 03:39:02 PM
Quote from: 3inchstrutbuster on April 19, 2011, 10:03:56 PM
where could one get a corian tipped striker?  New to oldgobbler so if there are sources here I wouldn't know where to find them.  I'm also interested in getting a nice walnut striker for use with a custom copper pot.  Thanks!
i make them i use carbon arrow shaft i turn the topof the striker out of bubinga and turn a corian tip