turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal TSS 7’s

Started by MS!48, March 19, 2018, 10:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MS!48

Hey guys first post on here this year. I really waited until the last minute to start looking at ammo, then found out federal no longer makes the HW 7's. I still have enough left to get through a few seasons though. My 870 youth gets these numbers with these chokes in a 10" at 40 yards with HW 7's.
Carlson .575 non ported- 170's
Pure Gold .570 ported- 130's
Hastings .566 non ported- 150's
I ordered three boxes of the federal tss 7's, since the 9's were not in stock. Any of you tried these yet? They will be in tm so hopefully get some targets posted by the weekend if I can get off work in time. Hopefully they pattern close to the heavy weight 7's. Believe I'm gonna try the Carlson first with these. I know 9's are the most popular in Tss, but I bought the only ones I could find. If any of you have tried these yet, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deast1988

If u can get decent numbers, they will crush if #9 tss hits like lead #5. The 7s will have less pattern density. But, folks have been shooting #7 for years from federal and hevi shot. The wad in new tss is suppose to be a lot less sensitive to different chokes. If they patten I'd hunt it, knowing it's going to bring a ton of energy in that pattern.

MS!48

Quote from: Deast1988 on March 21, 2018, 08:42:40 PM
If u can get decent numbers, they will crush if #9 tss hits like lead #5. The 7s will have less pattern density. But, folks have been shooting #7 for years from federal and hevi shot. The wad in new tss is suppose to be a lot less sensitive to different chokes. If they patten I'd hunt it, knowing it's going to bring a ton of energy in that pattern.

They came in the mail yesterday, so hopefully I'll be able to pattern them Friday or Saturday. Will post results when I'm finished.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SKFOOTER

Where did you order them from?

MS!48

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 23, 2018, 03:16:21 PM
I ordered three boxes from midway USA as soon as I got the email they were in stock. Really wanted 9's but hopefully these 7's will shoot similar to HW 7's. Gonna pattern them tm and see how they do.

MS!48

Quote from: MS!48 on March 23, 2018, 03:35:58 PM
Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 23, 2018, 03:16:21 PM
I ordered three boxes from midway USA as soon as I got the email they were in stock. Really wanted 9's but hopefully these 7's will shoot similar to HW 7's. Gonna pattern them tm and see how they do.

My brother and I will be patterning these sat around lunch. Both guns will be 870 youth models. I'll post picks of all the patterns. Here is a list of chokes that we will try tm. And I'll post picks on this thread.
IC .555
Carlson .575 ( my best choke with HW7
Pure Gold .570
Hastings .566

MS!48

Here are the results. Both guns 870 youth models.

CrustyRusty

The Carlson throws a nice pattern with hw7...the IC looks ok with the tss.    I wish federal would make an 8 shot, I can't use 9 where I live

MS!48

Yeah I'm going to use up the rest of my HW 7's before I go the TSS route.

jkbow

Using Federal HW TSS #7
My beneli M2 20 w 26" barrel and IC .555 shot 165 pellets in 10"
Remington 870 w 26" barrel and Sumtoy 562-5 141 pellets in 10"
Wife's youth 870 21" barrel and Truglo SSX .555 143 pellets in 10"
All lasered 40 yards....50 deg and overcast. And all guns deep cleaned before first shot.
To add some perspective, those guns normally put up better numbers w Federal HW 7s and Hevi 13 7s.
Maybe im over choking them, I will try some other chokes next time.

MS!48

Quote from: jkbow on April 01, 2018, 04:47:24 PM
Using Federal HW TSS #7
My beneli M2 20 w 26" barrel and IC .555 shot 165 pellets in 10"
Remington 870 w 26" barrel and Sumtoy 562-5 141 pellets in 10"
Wife's youth 870 21" barrel and Truglo SSX .555 143 pellets in 10"
All lasered 40 yards....50 deg and overcast. And all guns deep cleaned before first shot.
To add some perspective, those guns normally put up better numbers w Federal HW 7s and Hevi 13 7s.
Maybe im over choking them, I will try some other chokes next time.
Well my brothers ic .555 did quite well in his youth 870. Mine setup with the Carlson .575 did 145. Which don't get me wrong I'd hunt with it at 145 in the 10" no problem. I have nine HW 7's left. And that lot number has been throwing low to high 180's in the 10" extremely consistently. I'll start stocking up on the tss over the summer. Really wish Federal would have kept the HW 7's in production also though

jkbow

Those are great numbers w the HW 7s, my 870 w the
Sumtoy 562-5 usually puts up mid 160s w the HW 7.  The beneli
Has gone as High as 195 w nitro shooting there mega blend. 
I was hoping the TSS was going to do a little better, I will
Experiment w a few other chokes this week!  I have a non porter 570
Pure gold, a jellyhead 555, an undertaker by HS .582.