OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Partial fix for Dura Touch problems  (Read 18578 times)

Offline sealer

Partial fix for Dura Touch problems
« on: March 19, 2018, 07:39:54 PM »
I have tried several petroleum based liquids trying to remove the gummy Dura Touch mess. On a whim I tried 10% janitorial ammonia. It removed the gum and lightened the camo colors somewhat. After it dried, I coated the stock and forearm with Krylon Clear Matte finish. Although not a perfect fix, its better than what Browning has offered to do.
Dennis

Offline potter

Re: Partial fix for Dura Touch problems
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:27:52 PM »
How old was the gun, what was brownings response,  and what do u think caused this to happen?

Offline sealer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:41:33 PM »
It is one of the early Dura Touch guns.
It was one broken promise after another from Browning.
The cause is bad materials by Browning.
Very common too.
Dennis

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »
Wow browning fixed my son's they went above and beyond
What I expected. Bps bought in 2005
So bad you couldn't handle it. They said it was a bad batch in that year. They kept it 4 months sent him a new one. That's what I call customer service

Offline dms2511

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 09:16:15 PM »
The dura touch on my SX2 did the same thing, and Winchester couldn’t do anything for me because they didn’t have any SX2 stocks/forearms. I cleared them both with Krylon and haven’t looked back. Lost the dura touch finish, but seems to be holding up great with the clear coat and my hands don’t stick to gun and it doesn’t pick leaves up off the ground if you lay it down in the woods.

Offline sealer

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »
Browning kept sending me the wrong parts (finished walnut stock) and/or promises for parts by a certain time and then pushing the timeline back repeatedly.
Finally offered me a different camo patterned stock but never a forearm to go with it.
Dennis

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 07:08:34 AM »
I've seen a lot of this on the net over the years, but fortunately I haven't had to deal with it yet.

I have resigned myself that if the duratouch starts failing on my Maxus, I will just send it to Camo Solutions and have it removed and a new dip or cerakote done.

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »
I called browning about my buddies maxus stock and forearm that were awful. They sent new ones and they arrived within a week.  We Cerakoted the metal.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline longislandloco

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
My son's BPS going on 8 years now, no stock issue so far.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

Offline sealer

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:33:00 PM »
My BPS 10 ga. is closer to 20 years old. The problems were fixed not long after. Parts tend to dry up quicker for 10 gauges than the more common 12 ga.

Dennis

Offline GunRunner

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »
Browning replaced my stocks on my BPS....everything matches well and I am pleased.
The only drawback....they had my gun for 10 months before it was repaired and returned.

My recommendation.....prep for a long wait but send it to them instead of trying to resolve the issue yourselves.

GunRunner