OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Opinions welcome....too tight?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
Opinions welcome....too tight?
« on: March 19, 2018, 05:11:16 PM »
I am shooting a 24" 835 ulti mag with the Carlson's Longbeard XR choke.  Shooting 3" LB's #6 shot. 
This is what it's doing at 20 yards.  A golf ball size hole with multiple flyers.  At 30 and 40 it seems good but at 20 it seems like it's got a random pattern.  Its only my second year with this particular shotgun and I'm just now getting around to setting it up.  Thoughts, suggestions....

Click to enlarge:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
Re: Opinions welcome....too tight?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 06:50:07 PM »
LB's with the shot loc technology are very tight shooting shells.  The resin that holds the shot together, hurts in one way but helps in another.  Close shots will be very tight but it helps keep the pattern together at longer distances.  You have done the Most important thing, Patterned Your Gun, so you know what it does at a variety of distances.  Only you can say if it is too tight for you.  That combo will definitely get the job done but make sure you shoot it like a rifle.  One more thing, try the .690 Extra full turkey choke, that should have come with the 835, and see what kind of pattern you get at 20.   

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
LB's with the shot loc technology are very tight shooting shells.  The resin that holds the shot together, hurts in one way but helps in another.  Close shots will be very tight but it helps keep the pattern together at longer distances.  You have done the Most important thing, Patterned Your Gun, so you know what it does at a variety of distances.  Only you can say if it is too tight for you.  That combo will definitely get the job done but make sure you shoot it like a rifle.  One more thing, try the .690 Extra full turkey choke, that should have come with the 835, and see what kind of pattern you get at 20.

Thank you.  I never even tried that factory turkey choke. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 09:48:59 PM »
There's enough around the perimeter that I would feel comfortable with it as long as it was consistent. But as others have said only you can be the judge of that.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 10:49:08 PM »
I would hunt that. My 20 pattern with 5's is smaller, wish it was more open.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:32:02 AM »
They're all tight at 20yds.  Here is a pic from my 825 with 3.5" Win HV 6's, range was actually 22yds, 676" StarDot

I had Williams Slugger Rifle Sights on mine which helped on the closer shots.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »
There's enough around the perimeter that I would feel comfortable with it as long as it was consistent. But as others have said only you can be the judge of that.
I am with Happy.  I think you have enough wiggle room on either side to be fine.

Offline roverboy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 06:49:33 PM »
Woah!
Listen for the gobble

Offline roverboy

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 07:27:21 PM »
How tight is the Carlson's Longbeard choke? Have you measured with calipers?
Listen for the gobble