Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Extreme Velocity and Turkey Chokes (1450 fps+)

Started by Dawn2Dusk, April 19, 2011, 03:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawn2Dusk

For those who are in the know, does "EXTREME" velocity and turkey chokes have any draw backs?

I'm wanting to try some of the Hevi Duck loads, 1 1/4oz at what they say is 1550 fps in possibly a #2 shot for coyotes.  Yeah, I know they make Hevi Shot Dead Coyote but I'm hard headed and want to try something with a bit more pellet count in it.

I'll be using it in a 12 ga, 870 Remington, 26" barrel, and I have a handful of chokes to try that I think should work well from .675 to .690.

Thoughts, concerns, etc. welcome...
"Enjoying The Outdoors One Sunrise At A Time"

mcgruff1533

Check your local laws to make sure using shot that large is even legal.    Michigan for example forbids the use of shot any larger than #4.

It's a neat idea, but you'll likely find your pellet density will be lacking in as little as 30 yards.

Dawn2Dusk

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on April 19, 2011, 05:24:16 PM
Check your local laws to make sure using shot that large is even legal.    Michigan for example forbids the use of shot any larger than #4.

It's a neat idea, but you'll likely find your pellet density will be lacking in as little as 30 yards.

This is for coyotes and Georgia really hasn't any problem with how you kill them so long as you don't poison them.

Dawn2Dusk

Quote from: slickyboyboo on April 20, 2011, 10:03:17 AM
I would think that at 1450+ fps, your patterns would likely suffer.

So velocity hinders patterns?

Dawn2Dusk

Never knew that about velocity.

Yeah, I know the pattern density will suffer but for coyotes I'm not really concerned all that much.

Reloader

D2D,

Larger shot gains it's best efficiency with larger ED chokes IME.  A good extended buckshot or duck choke would be my first grab for patterning the loads you speak of. 

Are you opposed to shooting buckshot at them?  Federal Premium #1 buck gives great patterns at long ranges.  I was able to get 19 pellets out of 27 in a rough drawn circle in the 16" range at 50yds the last time I patterned the FP 3.5" #1s from an nonported Ext Mod choke in an 835.  It still places several hits out to around 75.  I would think just one #1 would crumble a dog and with similar patterns you would have a scary load with much more range than a hevi 2.

I've tried Rem 3.5 00, Win 3.5 #4, and many 3" loads, but never got even remotely close to the patterns of the FP #1.

I know a fella that travels around hunting vermin every year.  He piles em up by the dozens and his load of choice is cheap 3" Win #4 buck.  He prefers it to the EM dead coyote loads.  He said he's used them, but the patterns weren't all that great and with the amount of shells he used, the Win #4s were a much better way to go.

Reloader

Dawn2Dusk

I'm not opposed to buckshot but most of the places I have that are really good coyote terrain are cow pastures loaded with beef on the hoof.  The owners frown upon using anything past a bird load and I can get away with the #2 duck loads.  I've tried to talk to them until I'm blue in the face about knowing my target and what's beyond it but in this tough economy it's easier for them to say you use what I allow or don't hunt. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

If you can't use #4 Buck, use #4 or even #5 Lead instead.  It will knock a coyote's teeth loose as far as the pattern will hold up.  You don't really need 100 in 10" either.  70 or 80 #4's in 10" for a coyote should be fine.  The shells are cheap, so you can pattern different chokes until you find a good combo.

I'd probably use 3" Win Sup HV Lead.