Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Pattern Pics - Rem 870 with JH .660 and .665, Hevi-13 and some lead

Started by Matches, April 19, 2011, 03:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matches

First I would like to thank all you guys on here for posting pics of your patterns so I knew what I was missing out on. Last year I was using a Remington 870 with a 28" bbl and a JH .665. I shot and killed 3 gobblers with Winchester Supreme 3", 2oz, #5 shot. I never really patterned it, just made sure it hit close to POA.

After seeing some of your results with the Hevi-13 #7's I decided to try some. I also bought a JH .660 to try out as well. Here are the results.

Temperature was 51 degrees, winds were light.
Gun is a Remington 870 Express, with a 28" barrel.
Distances were confirmed with my laser range finder.

First I decided to shoot a couple rounds of the ammo I used last year.

First was a 3"-2oz-#5 Win. Supreme @ 40 yards with the JH .665 and clean bore. The result was 100 in a 10" circle:

Next I tried the same load with the JH .660, I did not clean the bore. Only 76 in the 10" circle.

O.K. enough of the lead already. I cleaned the bore and got the following patterns with the Hevi-13 #7's.

40 yards, Hevi-13 3"-2oz-#7, with JH .660 clean bore. 257 hits in the 10" circle:

I then fired another without cleaning the bore. Still got 228 in the 10" circle:

Next I cleaned the bore and tried the #7's with the .665 JH. It was good, but not as good as the .660, 242 in 10"

Finally, for good measure I shot one round at 50 yards. It was a hevi-13 #7 with the JH .660. I did not clean the bore before this shot. I was unsure where to draw the circle on this one. That's why there are 2 circles. I counted 138 in the upper circle, and 165 in the lower:

Obviously I have a slight POI vs. POA issue, but it is not severe enough for me to worry about. I'm just using the bead on the gun so I will have to compensate a little bit. Not a big deal to me.

So, are these the kind of numbers I should be expecting from my setup? I'm very happy with the results but if there is something I can do to get better, let me know.

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

TauntoHawk

my 870 with 20" barrel with the .665 jellyhead and 3-2-7 Hevishot put 105 in 10" circle at 50yds so Id say the longer barrel and tighter choke should give you the extra pellets.

I also didnt have clean stuff with me so I had a pretty dirty barrel by the time I was taking 50yd shots after sighting in the fast fire
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

West Augusta

I just ran a bore snake through mine between shots and got 265 with 3.5" MagBlends.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

gophert

Looks like your 870 likes the JH .660!!!   Run a boresnake through it and hit the woods with confidence!!!!

:z-winnersmiley:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ILIKEHEVI-13

Your barrel seems to really like that Jelly Head .660.  I guess I got a odd ball Remington barrel.  But that is a very good pattern.   :z-guntootsmiley: