Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening Day Success in Bama

Started by harleytom, March 15, 2018, 11:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Not much of a story on this with 2 exceptions: 1. Killed this bird without ever hearing a gobble all morning and 2. This was my first opening day turkey ever. It was a cold 28 to start the season in central Alabama. I had a field that cameras showed 3 gobblers showing up at early each morning to strut and gather their hens. I went to a listening spot to try to strike one at daybreak but quickly moved to the field edge as the woods remained quiet. Then, nothing showed up, not even a hen. I began blind calling in hopes that they were close by but nothing replied or came within sight unti around 11am when this guy approached but then hung up at 72 yards from my position and eventually moved away. Thinking I had a subordinate bird I quickly snatched my jake out of the set just in case he came back later. Around 12:30 a lone hen came into field after some soft calling and proceeded to feed among my hen decoys. 15 minutes later this guy comes back to field from the way he left. I thought that with a live hen on the field he would come closer, and he did, 65 yards, but refused to come closer. After 15 minutes or so of watching both birds feed but not approach each other the hen exited the field about 30 yards to my right. Now, I thought, surely he'll follow her and come within easy range. Nope, after 5 minutes or so of staring and pondering he set his wings to move toward where she had gone but several yards further back. Seeing this I made a decision to take the best shot I could get and just before he exited the field I pulled the trigger and the Apex TSS #9's rolled him at a yardage beyond that we are advised to talk about on this board. He barely flopped and my opening day ended far better than any previous ones have. Decent 2 year old bird allows me to focus on a possible upgrade without worrying about getting skunked on my home turf.

3seasons

FullChoke

Congratulations on a good gobbler and a new personal milestone. I believe that you are correct in your evaluation of this bird being a subordinate. Looking at his clean wingtips, I doubt that he has done much, if any, strutting this year. It is fair to assume that he won't be doing much strutting from here on out.

Cheers  :happy0064:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cramerhunts

Congratulations and way to get the party started.

RemingtonRules

First posting of a 60+ TSS kill. Hold on tight. Incoming.

harleytom

Sorry, don't remember posting it was beyond 60 yards out that it was beyond what we normally accept as preferred range. It appears some folks have reading comprehension issues or just enjoy creating drama.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RemingtonRules

Quote from: harleytom on March 15, 2018, 11:16:08 PM
Not much of a story on this with 2 exceptions: 1. Killed this bird without ever hearing a gobble all morning and 2. This was my first opening day turkey ever. It was a cold 28 to start the season in central Alabama. I had a field that cameras showed 3 gobblers showing up at early each morning to strut and gather their hens. I went to a listening spot to try to strike one at daybreak but quickly moved to the field edge as the woods remained quiet. Then, nothing showed up, not even a hen. I began blind calling in hopes that they were close by but nothing replied or came within sight unti around 11am when this guy approached but then hung up at 72 yards from my position and eventually moved away. Thinking I had a subordinate bird I quickly snatched my jake out of the set just in case he came back later. Around 12:30 a lone hen came into field after some soft calling and proceeded to feed among my hen decoys. 15 minutes later this guy comes back to field from the way he left. I thought that with a live hen on the field he would come closer, and he did, 65 yards, but refused to come closer. After 15 minutes or so of watching both birds feed but not approach each other the hen exited the field about 30 yards to my right. Now, I thought, surely he'll follow her and come within easy range. Nope, after 5 minutes or so of staring and pondering he set his wings to move toward where she had gone but several yards further back. Seeing this I made a decision to take the best shot I could get and just before he exited the field I pulled the trigger and the Apex TSS #9's rolled him at a yardage beyond that we are advised to talk about on this board. He barely flopped and my opening day ended far better than any previous ones have. Decent 2 year old bird allows me to focus on a possible upgrade without worrying about getting skunked on my home turf.
]

thought that with a live hen on the field he would come closer, and he did, 65 yards, but refused to come closer

Yardage beyond that we are advised to talk about

I guess I only read your words and did not fill in the gaps well.

harleytom

Quote from: RemingtonRules on March 16, 2018, 07:24:49 PM
Quote from: harleytom on March 15, 2018, 11:16:08 PM
]

thought that with a live hen on the field he would come closer, and he did, 65 yards, but refused to come closer

Yardage beyond that we are advised to talk about

I guess I only read your words and did not fill in the gaps well.
No problem, he was closer than that but not within what we consider acceptable normal limits, therefore I did not state the distance. I don't make a habit of long range shooting, but I do set my gun up carefully and practice with it to a degree that I can make longer than normal shots if the circumstances are right and I don't see another solution. I handloaded TSS for years before the commercial product became available and I know what it can do. I don't use it to necessarily extend my range but because I want to control the elements that I can to ensure a clean humane kill to a quarry I admire and respect and the pattern density gained by TSS are another tool in that arsenal for me. No harm no foul, I just don't feel it's in any of our best interest to stir up controversy within our ranks, whether that involves use of decoys, blinds, strategies or ammo.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk