OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Locating Rios  (Read 2453 times)

Offline kjnengr

Locating Rios
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:03:36 AM »
I thought I once read a thread about this but can't find it......

What kind of call is best to locate rios on the roost?  I am used to using my Harrison hooter when hunting easterns, but what should be used when there aren't any owls around?  If it makes any difference these birds are in central Texas.   

Thanks

Offline Txag12

Re: Locating Rios
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:46:14 PM »
Some will say otherwise, but IMO nothing makes Rios sound off more than a coyote howler

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:34:55 PM »
Some will say otherwise, but IMO nothing makes Rios sound off more than a coyote howler

Is that for rooster birds before sunrise too or just in the evening ?

Offline Txag12

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 09:09:02 PM »
I only use roosting birds the evening before I hunt

Offline Treerooster

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:39:54 AM »
Best locator...a turkey call.

I use a howler in the evening. I don't like to use it when they are on the ground.

Binos work, if the leaves aren't on the trees yet.

Online GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »
Simply put, any real loud, abrupt sound will generally work.  Rios usually respond well to locators on the roost both after they fly up in the evening until pitch dark, and in the morning at first light until they fly down. 

I use the terms "generally" and "usually" because there are no absolutes in turkey hunting.  There may be exceptions, but the above has been my experience hunting them.

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 09:28:53 AM »
Thanks Guys.

Offline jims

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 09:46:26 AM »
Crow and owls are pretty common when turkeys are on roosts.  Good ole turkey calls also work great.  I would think gobbles would also get response.  As mentioned above, any loud abrupt noise will likely work.  In Colo where I hunt toms tend to make noise well before daylight and then are quiet close to sunrise.  They've figured out if they make noise close to or during daylight hours that they may be eaten by coyotes, mtn lions, bobcats, and bears if they make a peep!  It makes it pretty tough to locate them when there is lots and lots of country without turkeys plus trees to hide them.  I can sometimes get tom or hens to return calls during daylight hours if I don't hardly do any calling but once every hour or so try a shock call with different hen calls.  I've found if I call too frequently that toms often quit talking....unless they are totally fired up.  It's kindof weird but there are lots of crows in the area but I've never heard a tom gobble in response to crows calling. 

I've heard toms shock gobble in response to crows in Nebraska though.  I've found that's it's important to stay flexible with turkeys.  If something doesn't work try something else!  I usually have to cover gobs of country to find the few turkeys that are there so it is super nice when I finally get a response!

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »
If I am scouting early morning, I just let them call on their own...  If I am scouting later in the day, I use a turkey call...  If I get a response, I shut up and get out.  I make note of the time of day, and where I heard the birds, and go to a different location to try and locate new birds.  I have had minimal luck with other locater calls after fly-down, but would use a hawk screamer or goose call if I were going to try something different than an actual turkey call.

If I am hunting before fly-down, an owl call works as well as anything.

If I am hunting after fly-down, I use a turkey call.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »
Thanks, Marc.  Honestly that's what I've been mostly doing for locating Rios.  The location where I have previously hunted rios have relatively few trees tall enough for the birds to roost in.  Get in a likely area before sunrise and they will let you know where they are if they are there.  After fly down, I've mostly used a yelping as a locator call.

Thanks for all the replies guys.