OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cherry Pot?

Started by Gobbling Buck, February 11, 2011, 10:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbling Buck

Has anyone ever turned a pot from cherry?  Any tips if you have?  I know it is a very hard wood from turning strikers from it, but that is about it.  Thanks for any help.-GB

lightsoutcalls

It's pretty much an "industry standard" for the companies that produce lots of calls at the same time.  (Not so custom calls.)  It makes a good call and should be fairly easy to turn.  It does take some work sanding to get all of the sanding marks out.  That said, if you can get by starting with 150 grit, I wouldn't go any coarser if I didn't absolutely have to.  Hope it works well for you.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Bonjour

Cherry makes a great pot. It also turns very easy and comes off in nice ribbons. I love turning cherry, especially because of the smell of it when it is turned. Here is a cherry burl call I did a while back.

Ryan

bird

Quote from: Bonjour on February 11, 2011, 11:37:28 AM
Cherry makes a great pot. It also turns very easy and comes off in nice ribbons. I love turning cherry, especially because of the smell of it when it is turned. Here is a cherry burl call I did a while back.

Ryan

WOW Ryan..... What an awesome lookin' call.   :icon_thumright:

Basser69

Ryan, That is a great looking call!!!

M,Yingling

Cherry makes very nice sounding pot   ,, as the pic above shows works great for custom calls ,,  I think it turns easy takes a finish well  ,,,, Have fun
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

lightsoutcalls

Holy smokes Ryan, that is a beauty!!!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gobbling Buck

Wow!!  That is an awesome looking call.  If mine turns out to look as good  as that I'll be estatic.  Thanks for sharing.-GB

eemer

Ryan, That call is a real Beauty!

Cherry is an excellent wood to turn - you may experience some slight "tear-out" on the end-grain, but good sanding practices clean it up easily.

The key to Cherry is "Sharp Tools"  "Small Bites" as with most good hardwoods.   Sharpen well and often!
Vermont Tom-Taker Turkey Calls!