OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 GA. 870 21" barrel, Truglo GSX Choke?

Started by cluckpurr, March 13, 2018, 08:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cluckpurr

Just wondering if anybody has shot this exact setup? I will be shooting TSS #9 handloads with the SAM wad recipe.

LRD

This may not be much help, but I patterned the SSX in my son's 870 youth with heavyweight #7s. It had a really good 200+ in the 10" at 40 yards but not many in the 10" - 20". In other words, it shot a really tight pattern with the heavyweight shells.

mightyjoeyoung

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BrowningGuy88

I shot one for a long time with Winchester 5's and killed a lot of turkeys, but that was before I knew anything about patterning guns or custom chokes...

cluckpurr

Shot the gun this morning, not exactly blown away with the pattern. Will it kill a turkey? Sure, but its not the sexy patterns that these handloads have put out from other set ups. I will count the pellets and post pictures later tonight.

BrowningGuy88

cluckpurr

So after counting it's putting 250 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. I was hoping more for 300+. There was about a 15-20 mph wind dead in my face when I was shooting. Overall the pattern is fairly even at 40 across the whole paper, not the defined concentration in the center. How should I go about tightening it up without over choking the TSS?

Meatseeker

Try the Truglo SSX instead.  As other have said its a proven killer and has won multiple NWTF still target shooting competitions.  I shoot a Rem 870 20 ga with the SSX and heavyweight 7's and can put 200+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  With TSS 300 counts should be possible.  Although I'm not sure why the an even pattern with 250 pellets isn't good enough??

cluckpurr

Im going to have to choke it down for sure, either to a .560 or .555, the pattern is serviceable but just not as good as i was expecting. i cant figure out how to load pictures on here for love nor money either.

cluckpurr

Okay i figured out how to get pictures on here, so heres the pattern, going to try the sxx or IC .555 next go

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk