OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: davisd9 Scouting Report  (Read 3070 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
davisd9 Scouting Report
« on: February 18, 2018, 03:30:34 PM »
Had to go to the club yesterday to do some work on a stand we are building. Since I was going anyway I decided to get up early and go listen. Wanted to go to one property that I have a lot of confidence in and was sure we would hear a bird on, but tried making the better decision to hit a property we know birds are on but have not quite figured it out. Buddy and I got there about 6:45 and as soon as we got to the plot towards the swamps I duck hunt a bird gobbled toward the smaller swamp. We cut that way and went into woods. Heard another bird gobbling as well and maybe a third. Only the one at the swamp gobbled well.

We worked down to the edge and I knew exactly were he was as I heard birds roosted there when duck hunting. He gobbled decently on the limb and twice on the ground. We heard yelping and heard it going back to the plot so we had an idea of their track.

Well my buddy had not been over there much so I was going to show him where exactly they were. We were working our way through the swamp when some hogs started moving through. There were 5-6. We brought a 30-30 just in case and the third was a big black hog, probably 150-200 lbs Range. He shot and the hog rolled the others ran but crossed where we could see them so he shot twice more. Pretty certain the second shot connected but the third hit the water in front of them.

As we were working out way across the swamp trying not to dip our boots I came up a log and stepped over it. Just as my buddy was about to do the same he yelled snake. I turned to look but did not see anything. He said it is right there but still could not see it. Finally he said it is just his head, was looking for a whole snake. Dag em if a moccasin was not totally submerged in the middle of February a foot from where I just stepped. Was not even looking for them with the water temp still cool. We have had some warm few days so would not be surprised to see him on the bank but not in the water anyway. I pulled my .38 and let it do its job. When I shot and he started curling from reflex we realized it was a stud moccasin. Wish I had skinned him out now.

We got on across and got to where the hog was. There was good blood but it led to some thick briars. Buddy said he shot all the 30-30 rounds. I knew he also had a pistol so I asked him which one. When he said 380 I said I was not going in there looking.

Anyway it was a fun morning and we got some ideas on the birds. May go back Saturday morning. If so I will bring my rifle in case the hogs show up again. Hope all is well! 30 days to go for us SC guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: davisd9 Scouting Report
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 07:06:24 AM »
 Sounds like a eventful scouting trip, but I think you need to take more guns!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »
Hoping to go listen in the morning.  Getting good reports from the farm.  Will probably start at other property than where I killed the snake. 
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
I have never heard the term "stud moccasin" what does it relate to? I am hoping you don't mean a breeding male or I am going to feel pretty stupid.

This a team board

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
davisd9 Scouting Report
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
Got back to the farm to day and pulled the card to the camera I put out on 2/25 and was happy with what I saw, Russell and I should have some good hunting and I hope I can get him on a particular bird. Date and time does not work on camera.

Moved camera to another area and hope to get some more photos when I check on 3/22.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
Looks like a few contenders  :icon_thumright:

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »
Can hardly wait.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
Very cool. There’s still so much snow here w another storm coming tonight. I haven’t even been out a real lot looking. Places they show up first historically are still void.