OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg Tactical Turkey

Started by Fastcat, April 19, 2011, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastcat

Hey everybody I am a turkey hunting addict who kicked the habbit but I have had a major relapse this year.  I am also new to oldgobbler.com.  I just wanted to share a scary experience I had last week patterning a Mossberg 500 tactical turkey I won a few years ago at our NWTF banquet.  I have not shot this gun more than 5 times previously.

After patterning two major 3" turkey loads I chambered a 3" #5 Winchester HV.  The instant the shot broke I felt like I had been punched in the kisser.  When I regained my whits I realized the stock had folded under recoil and the already stout recoil was combined with the momentum of a 7 pound gun was really unpleasent!

Needless to say I was a little shaken and latter that day I came across a beauty of an old 835 sporting a 24 inch non-ported barrel and the old school first generation dipped camo. (maybe realtree? looks like treebark with a couple of green leaves in the for gound.)  Needless to say the cool tactical 500 went
down the road!  And a sims recoil pad and pure gold choke are on there way here for the retro Mossy!

Fastcat

Anyway if i had an 835 Tactical turkey I would be concerned.  Any thoughts?

chadabear

Ive had my 835 Tactical for 5 yrs. Ive shot everything from Win Supreme 3-1/2 to Nitro 4-5-7, 3-1/2. Ive only shot 2-1/2" to sight in a scope, but everything else has been the most powerful shells on the market. No problems. I have several people that own them also, including tbe 500 and none have had any problems.
1 Samuel 12:24
But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.

PANYHunter

I have a 535 tactical and have never had any problems with it shooting 3.5's

Fastcat

Well maybe it was a fluke; in fact I hope it was, but thats what happend either way.  I was pretty bummed about it.  It's a really neat design.  I like to access some hunting spots with my kayak and a gun that compact peeked my interest.  I may even build one like that with a Knoxx stock.  But I am not really sold on the plastic buffer tube on the Mossberg.  I have a couple ARs with m4 style stocks and they are much more substantial and that's taking the beating of the mighty 223 not the 3.5 inch twelve gauge.

fountain

Can't go wrong with the 835..quite possibly one of the beat patterning guns out there.  Pm Sumtoy on here and get a choke from him and some hevi 13 7s and u will have a turkey slayer fo sho.

Fastcat

Yeah when I saw it I had to have it.  That model is the one that everybody had when the 3.5 took the turkey gun world by storm.  Actually its the first Mossberg I have gotten on purpose, I'm a pretty serious remington guy. But when I was a pup I remember those big scary 835s were all the rage.  Plus I have always wanted to see how the overbored barrels pattern, and no ones dreamed up an overbored 870 supermag!

pullit

I saw a photo several years ago (can't remember where) and he had a scope on his shotgun. The stock let loose (like yours did) and the scope laid him open. He had to have several stiches to fix him up again.

Fastcat

I wondered about what would have happened if I would have had an optic on it!  Either way it was scary!

mcgruff1533

Quote from: PANYHunter on April 19, 2011, 10:31:57 AM
I have a 535 tactical and have never had any problems with it shooting 3.5's

Same here!    I've had my 535 Tactical Turkey for almost 2 years now and I've never had a problem shooting 3.5" shells.    They kick like hell, but never had any problems with the stock.

Crappiepro

I've owned one for 3 years, I got mine as a factory used demo. I paid $350.00 total. I don't think its been hurt at all. No problems with nothing on the gun yet. Yeah, it kicks like a mad mule with a 3" LOL. I've shot it a few times with the 3.5" shells and won't be doin that any time soon LOL. The stock is still rock solid.