OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thads economy tape cutter  (Read 11224 times)

Offline cjordan

Thads economy tape cutter
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:01:07 AM »
I've looked around but haven't seen anything mentioned about it. I was just wondering if anyone on here has used one and how did it perform? I don't believe I've ever read a single negative statement about Thad or his products, so I'm sure if he thinks it's good enough to sell, then it more than likely works. Thanks

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Thads economy tape cutter
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
I agree that I have heard nothing but good things about Thad's products.  I am sure his tape cutter is excellent.

The first thought that comes to my mind, though, is why do folks think they need a tape cutter?  Unless you are planning on marketing your calls and need to have very clean tape cuts, a pair of scissors and a template is all you need. 

Offline cjordan

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:48 AM »
I would agree that it's more of a want than a need. His call presses and tape cutters have been around for a while, but I was unaware of his economy tape cutter until we messaged back and forth a few times.
Granted it doesn't take five minutes to trace a template and cut a call, and granted the economy cutter cost much more than a pair of siccors, but in my mind, for the price it's not a bad deal, as long as it works.
If you have to work the cutter a few times to get through the tape then that's a different story.
In the end, we need a cutter about as bad as we need 15 strikers, four different pot calls,  3 different box calls, 10 different mouth calls, three different shock calls, along with an array of scratch boxes, trough calls, and wingbone yelpers all in the vest at one time. Lol

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »
 :TooFunny:  How true!  Us turkey hunters are a curious bunch, for sure!  :toothy12:

FYI,...a pill/prescription bottle makes a great template for scissor cuts...

Offline cjordan

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:43:49 AM »
Thank you for that tip, I hadn't thought about using one of those. I usually take a call that I really like and use it to trim my other calls with. I'm dang sure gonna give it a try tho

Offline Satchel

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:09:54 PM »
I haven't used the economy cutter but, I bought the pro cutter last year after cutting them by hand for 25 years. I can tell you that I don't regret it one bit. The best money that I've spent in while. If I had one regret, it was not buying it sooner. You're right, its not an absolute need but, it sure is a nice tool to have.

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 01:14:43 AM »
Everything Thad makes is the tops. I know he makes the economy cutter, and if he makes and sells something...it's good enough for anybody.

I have the competition type set, press and cutter, and out of all my call making equipment ( lathes, mill, etc) they are the sweetest of them all. I spent the dough, and they have paid for themselves, don't regret it one bit.
Mark

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 08:58:57 PM »
I've got one of his economy cutters,cut close to 1500 calls and it's still razor sharp thinks it's round $150 when I got mine 

Offline ZachH28

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
What is the difference between the economy cutter and the pro cutter? I can't find a picture of the economy cutter anywhere and I am getting annoyed with trying to trace an old call and cutting with scissors. It doesn't take long to cut one out, I just get frustrated with raggedy edges or my hand slipping.

Offline cjordan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 07:24:34 AM »
What is the difference between the economy cutter and the pro cutter? I can't find a picture of the economy cutter anywhere and I am getting annoyed with trying to trace an old call and cutting with scissors. It doesn't take long to cut one out, I just get frustrated with raggedy edges or my hand slipping.
The economy cutter is 165.00 vs the pro cutter is 500.00 I'll try to post a picture of one for you. But you can go to his FB page scroll through his pics and you'll see it.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »
Everything Thad makes is the tops. I know he makes the economy cutter, and if he makes and sells something...it's good enough for anybody.

I have the competition type set, press and cutter, and out of all my call making equipment ( lathes, mill, etc) they are the sweetest of them all. I spent the dough, and they have paid for themselves, don't regret it one bit.
Mark

X2. I spent the money for the competition set.

Worth every dimeā€¦

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:46 AM »
surprised no one makes a punch cutter style, have seen pics of them. Basically hit top with a hammer to cut out call. Mike

Offline Zeke6685

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 02:41:50 PM »
I have one of the econo tape cutters ordered, hopefully get this week sometime.

Offline featheridge

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 10:30:48 AM »
Production cutter Built for Production cutting calls ! Pretty much bullet proof,, 20 plus years I have never had to resharpen one !  Economy is just that an Economical Cutter,, this will dull over time but I designed it so the user can easily replace Blades and waste board ,,

Offline featheridge

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »
Economy cutters will be ready this week for the season !