OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: GHG turkey decoys vs an Avian X or DSD  (Read 9063 times)

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
Re: GHG turkey decoys vs an Avian X or DSD
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
Can you use too many decoys at once?
Yes, one.

Experienced that before.

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 04:39:37 PM »
Thanks to this thread I upgraded my hen avian X decoys to a leading and feeding hen DSD.  Once I got the Avian X and DSD side by side there was no comparison!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 03:07:40 AM »
I have the Avian X Jake and I love it. Here is a video of it in use last year with three jakes. Did not get the gobbler on video but he didnt hesitate running to it the very next day to his demise.

https://youtu.be/AEx4A0I5K4g

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 11:25:26 AM »
I have the Avian X Jake and I love it. Here is a video of it in use last year with three jakes. Did not get the gobbler on video but he didnt hesitate running to it the very next day to his demise.

https://youtu.be/AEx4A0I5K4g

yea, i have been using an Avian X half strut jake.  almost makes it too easy because they run it at it just about every time as soon as they see it.  its a little big and bulky but i put it and a lay down hen in a carry bag

Offline slwayne

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 04:34:01 PM »

Hey All,

If you go DSD and looking for a jake & hen I would go with the 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen as my first choice. These 2 can be set in many ways both alone and together, even by short staking the hen as a "breeder".

I have entire thread dedicated to DSD's and sets.

Follow the link :)
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

MK M GOBL

This is the combo I have.  Can absolutely attest that it is a killer.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »
Yes, one.
Lol I was thinking it but decided not to post it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
 My first love is easing through the woods and then making decisions when I strike up a conversation with a bird. Unfortunately my knees have limited this the past few years. Out of necessity I began to set up in fields and use a blind. I used older decoys and wrong sets and did marginally.This past year I used my brothers avians and the birds reaction to them was much more positive. Based on this sites recommendation I will be purchasing DSDs. I read MK M GOBLS threads also on sets and will be heading to the fields with increased confidence

Online MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 01:19:00 PM »
My first love is easing through the woods and then making decisions when I strike up a conversation with a bird. Unfortunately my knees have limited this the past few years. Out of necessity I began to set up in fields and use a blind. I used older decoys and wrong sets and did marginally.This past year I used my brothers avians and the birds reaction to them was much more positive. Based on this sites recommendation I will be purchasing DSDs. I read MK M GOBLS threads also on sets and will be heading to the fields with increased confidence

Sounds good Harty! If you get any questions on what makes good starters let me know, or sets. You can always PM me and we can go from there. Always willing to help out.

MK M GOBL

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 10:17:03 PM »

Sounds good Harty! If you get any questions on what makes good starters let me know, or sets. You can always PM me and we can go from there. Always willing to help out.

MK M GOBL

thanks MK M GOBL. I appreciate the offer.

HARTY

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 08:01:11 AM »
I bought Avian X at the beginning of last season and after reading this thread I think I should have gone with the DSD

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:23 PM »
I bought Avian X at the beginning of last season and after reading this thread I think I should have gone with the DSD

The turkeys won't know the difference. I'd bet more turkeys are killed over Primos decoys than most others and they certainly are not the best looking.

Offline Gen.27:3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 12:46:06 PM »
Yes, one.

Are you against using decoys?
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
Yes, one.

Are you against using decoys?

Using decoys is a personal decision. They are great in a field when hunting from blinds. I will some times use as many as 15 decoys early in the season. Not only do they bring in turkeys but you can see the neighbors drooling over the fence. I like Avians but have a huge assortment of different decoys.

I respect everyone's  opinion but believe we should take everyone's advice with caution and use common sense while making our own decisions. No one can tell you how to be successful as success comes with time, error and experience.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline rock54

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 11:23:44 PM »
i have 2 feeder an a alert hen DSD, but bought a deception jake decoy, he gets his butt beat every spring, i love all my decoys as they all play their part in my setup, good luck to you in your decision...russ