OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gun setup and Patterning

Started by SumToy, April 19, 2011, 08:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SumToy

Ok guys/gals I have had calls and emails about gun set up.  I see all the post about this also.  

Well lets see if this will help some.   Get your gun and some cheap shells.  I like 9's but 8's will work.   If you have a new choke put a drop of oil on it before you screw it in the barrel.  Take you a target set it at 50 feet or so.  This way the 9's  should blow a hole so you can see true POI.   Set your sites I like to set them a little high because the turkey loads shoot a little low at the 40 yard mark.    After you get the gun POI to hit POA shoot a few rounds of the cheap stuff to just see if gun/you can do the same thing over and over.  (don't get the barrel hot this will make it do odd things) This will also let you figure out if the gun likes to be clean or not.

After you feel you,gun, and choke have became one you are ready.   Move back to 40 yards and test fire the turkey load.  Should be dead on.  

This should save you money and time.  After you shoot the cheap shell you forget about the kick of the turkey load so then you not flinch when you shoot the last shot the see how it shoots with them.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Fastcat

That is an great piece of advise.  I always like to run ten or so light trap loads through my 3.5 inch guns before I get down to business. ( When sights are on I like empty shells at close range as targets.)  My logic for this is once the first big shell goes off hopefully the time for sight ajustment and wacky trigger pulls is over. 

I try and scoot a patch down the bore to clean the trap crap out of the bore before I pattern.  Maybe thats silly?!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions