OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TK2000  (Read 7840 times)

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
TK2000
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »
Shooting the TK2000 (NWTF edition) here with 2.5 ounces of chilled lead 6's and 100-110 grains of Triple 7.  Great patterns at 35yds with a about a 40yd limit on the gun.  Killed turkeys at 35 and less in the past.  Kinda tricky with all the smoke but once the smoke clears the turkey has been laying there everytime..adds an element of excitement to turkey hunting just as muzzleloading for mature whitetails seems a little more exciting with the smoke pole!! :boon:

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: TK2000
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:53:24 AM »

Took my new TK200 on its first real hunt yesterday.  Took this Florida Osceola on the 2nd to last day of the Florida season.  16 3/4#, full fan, 1"spurs, damaged 5" beard.  28 yard shot with 100gr GOEX, Knight wad/overpowder foam card, 2 1/2oz #6 lead.  Down and out. 

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:31:35 AM »
Congratulations!!  Nice Bird!! I am really impressed with the TK2000 and shooting the recommendations by Tony Knight.  I am going to try to post up some patterns and see how many shot i am getting in the 10 in circle at 30 and 40 because the numbers are fairly impressive.  I have killed a number of turkeys with mine and was thinking about going to hevi shot but after investigation..the hevi shot is really expensive and it looks like it would turn into a science project to get it done.  The TK2000 is an efficient gun for me just shooting Lawrence's chilled lead shot 6's and the recommended shot amounts and 100-110 grains of T7.  Have you tried Copper Plated shot in your TK???

Offline dpittman

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »
The hevishot is very expensive but when patterning build a trap to collect it and shoot it over and over and it actually becomes fairly inexpensive. You can cut open a few HS turkey loads to experiment to see if you thuink the Hevi is worth the investment. I think Knights recomendations of 100 gr T7 and 2.5 oz shot is an unnecassary amount of recoil for so-so patterns. You can switch to 1.5-2 oz HS with 85-95 gr T7 and I think you will see drastic improvements in your patterns with half the recoil. My TK with Knight loads was actually very poor considering the amount of shot. The only HeviShot I lose is the stuff I shoot at turkeys.

Offline njdevilsb

• Double Beard
  • New York
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
Congrats on the bird with the smokepole.

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »
The hevishot is very expensive but when patterning build a trap to collect it and shoot it over and over and it actually becomes fairly inexpensive. You can cut open a few HS turkey loads to experiment to see if you think the Hevi is worth the investment. I think Knights recommendations of 100 gr T7 and 2.5 oz shot is an unnecessary amount of recoil for so-so patterns. You can switch to 1.5-2 oz HS with 85-95 gr T7 and I think you will see drastic improvements in your patterns with half the recoil. My TK with Knight loads was actually very poor considering the amount of shot. The only HeviShot I lose is the stuff I shoot at turkeys.
Just seems like too much trouble..i am getting some great patterns with TK 2000 and lead already.  Every gun is different. So easy to load and measure shot this way.  Have a couple of Beretta's that i shoot hevi out of.  Think i will just leave the primitive weapon primitive and kill turkeys at close range.  Thanks for the info anyways.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:29:32 PM by Longshanks »

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
I'm leaning that way also.  Sometimes "good enough" is good enough for now.  I use the old white hevi 13 in my 870.  Nothing does better in this gun and it is a killer even at 45 yards.  I don't have an area I can go out and shoot every day so my actual patterning/practice time with the TK will be limited.  It did very well in its first trial by fire and I couldn't be more pleased.  I have the components to try several BP loading variations and will do so in the future.  For now the Knight Manual's loading info worked well and will be my number 1 load until I see a reason to change.  This forum and the NWTF's has a wealth of mzl info posted by several knowledgeable shooters.  I thank them all for it.   I think I will be limited to hunting only in my home state this year.  Florida ended yesterday so I'm done for spring 2011.  If things change I may get up to Ohio for a mid May last of the season hunt.  My 870 will be the weapon of choice there since I don't see anyway you can fly with black powder.  Gun and components yes - the actual powder NO.  Anyone have different opinion on this?   

Offline bawana

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
I've got an older TK2000 NWTF model with the #11 cap, I use 170 grains of #6 and 100 grains of triple 7 and get fantastic patterns at 35 yards.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 07:46:39 AM »
I'm lucky to hunt with a math teacher.  Never seen the shot measure described in grains.  170 grains of shot is 2 1/2oz according to his calculations ( may have rounded off).  My next shooting session will be with some Triple 7.  Anxious to see how much difference the clean up is when I'm done for the day.