OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot call turners....  (Read 8333 times)

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Pot call turners....
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 04:39:27 AM »
Once I have my blank cut and drilled, about 45 minutes on the lathe.  Probably half of that time is measuring.

Offline ridgerunner

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Roosted ain't Roasted!
    • www.feathercreekcalls.com
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
Take me two days from start to finish..that's from a block of wood to a call you can take hunting.

Offline pauld

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 07:08:08 PM »
Just let me get this straight. I'm not a pot or box call maker or anything but I just like reading this stuff.

You guys can take a square piece of wood, turn it, and have it completely assembled with just waiting for the glue to dry in two hours? That just is amazing to me. Damn impressive.

From taking a board, squaring it, sanding it, laying out and drilling holes, total turning time, sand, finish, ready for glue I was averaging 35 minutes over the weekend. Lol. NOW, I break my process up and like to let the pot rest at different stages in that but.... yeh. Lol. The crazy thing is I know guys much faster and just as accurate as I am.

Offline ridgerunner

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Roosted ain't Roasted!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 08:29:04 AM »
That's amazing Paul. it takes me 35 minutes just to sand mine..let alone the other..how do you sand? what grits etc.

Offline pauld

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 06:17:01 PM »
Sand on the lathe, low speed. 150, 220, 320, 400, 600. If you got a rough spot hit it with 100 first. Keep sand paper fresh ( its cheap), let it do the work, not you. That’ll keep the heat down and keep the pot from warping.

Offline mmclain

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 10:47:10 PM »
That's amazing Paul. it takes me 35 minutes just to sand mine..let alone the other..how do you sand? what grits etc.
That’s way too much time!   Your heating up the wood. And most likely sanding the face Grain and end grain in an uneven rate.  Use only the top shelf sand paper cheap sand paper has poor grit quality.  After you finish cut (shear scrape) the wood.  You should not have to go below 150 grit except on some because of tear out.  150/180/220/320 is generally sufficient on most woods.  Dark woods may need finer 400/600.  The human eye can’t really see a scratch pattern finer than 320 on most woods. 

Offline ridgerunner

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Roosted ain't Roasted!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 06:53:56 AM »
That’s way too much time!   Your heating up the wood. And most likely sanding the face Grain and end grain in an uneven rate.  Use only the top shelf sand paper cheap sand paper has poor grit quality.  After you finish cut (shear scrape) the wood.  You should not have to go below 150 grit except on some because of tear out.  150/180/220/320 is generally sufficient on most woods.  Dark woods may need finer 400/600.  The human eye can’t really see a scratch pattern finer than 320 on most woods.

No i don't think i'm heating the wood up Matt or taking too much time.... I'll post a pic of one of my finished calls. then you can critique it for me.