OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot call turners....  (Read 8344 times)

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
Pot call turners....
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:58:39 PM »
How long does it typically take y'all to turn a pot and striker combo? Right now from cutting my blanks to finished products I'm right at two hours.  I'm about to buy a second chuck to hopefully speed this up some. I cut my blanks from rough boards I buy from a man locally.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Pot call turners....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:43:59 AM »
Same here, about 2hrs to turn a call and striker start to finish.  That’s after I’ve cut my blanks.  I usually spend a day or two a month just cutting and organizing blanks so that once I decide what to make it’s all already laid out and cut and organized.
I have dowel blanks separated, handle blanks drilled and separated, and call blanks cut and separated.
From grabbing them off the shelf to completely finished, 2 hours.

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:19:04 PM »
 i would say if i had cut a blank drill it turn it right round 45 minutes ,,,, i never realy do more then 4 or 5 pots at a time,,,, i also have 20 or 30 blanks cut and pre drilled   that way when i do get spare time to turn its matters just chucking a blank up  ,,, if i have limited time maybe hour thats when i cut and drill

to me its not about the speed i can put a call out !! for me  its the enjoyment of doing it  see what  i can find figure wise in next piece wood 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:18:51 PM »
Dang mike your a speed demon.

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:42:10 PM »
The finish  on pot and gluing up is 2to4 day process... fast part is making pot and striker

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 04:20:43 PM »
The finish  on pot and gluing up is 2to4 day process... fast part is making pot and striker
For sure. I was talking purly about the turning part. I agree with you. Once its turned I usually spend a day on layering finished then my soundboard dries for a day then my playing surface dries for a day. I'd rather wait for the glue to fully dry than rush it out.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »
I have about 2 hrs in a call, start to finish,  Mike

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 06:02:53 PM »
Yeah it's 2 hr deal turning pot and striker and then sanding 

Offline Flydown Custom Calls

• Handcrafted Custom Game Calls
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 12:49:21 AM »
Hard to say how long it takes for one call. I usually cut and drill my blanks ahead of time. Once the blank is ready I have pot calls right at around 30 minutes on the lathe. It gets much quicker with time. About 15 minutes for a 1 piece striker.

Josh

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 07:32:56 PM »
When I get to rolling on the lathe, 6 minutes from start to finish on a striker. A pot can be done in about 30
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Offline pauld

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:20:45 AM »
Prep time on a pot is right around 7-10 minutes. Lathe time is 20 minutes. I usually break up my process and don’t do it all at once to reduce the possibility of a pot reacting to too much heat.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 06:20:03 PM »
Just let me get this straight. I'm not a pot or box call maker or anything but I just like reading this stuff.

You guys can take a square piece of wood, turn it, and have it completely assembled with just waiting for the glue to dry in two hours? That just is amazing to me. Damn impressive.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 06:31:38 PM »
Just let me get this straight. I'm not a pot or box call maker or anything but I just like reading this stuff.

You guys can take a square piece of wood, turn it, and have it completely assembled with just waiting for the glue to dry in two hours? That just is amazing to me. Damn impressive.
That's up to $60 hr. Of work
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »

That's for the turning part. Then the finish can take a while depending on the kind you use. Right now I'm using an acrylic which takes multiple coats. Then I glue in my sound board and keep it under pressure for at least 12 hours. Then I apply the playing surface and keep it under pressure for around 24 hours to insure the glue sets up properly before I condition and play it. But yes in general about two hours from raw boards to a pot and striker both. I don't buy blanks at this time I buy raw lumber and cut my own blanks out. The slowest part is having to stop alot to measure when your getting close to your depths and widths.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »

That's for the turning part. Then the finish can take a while depending on the kind you use. Right now I'm using an acrylic which takes multiple coats. Then I glue in my sound board and keep it under pressure for at least 12 hours. Then I apply the playing surface and keep it under pressure for around 24 hours to insure the glue sets up properly before I condition and play it. But yes in general about two hours from raw boards to a pot and striker both. I don't buy blanks at this time I buy raw lumber and cut my own blanks out. The slowest part is having to stop alot to measure when your getting close to your depths and widths.

But in terms of start to finish, not counting the wait time for things to dry, it takes about 2.5-3 hours total for a pot call to be made? For whatever reason I thought it took a lot longer. Just impressed.