turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"Tuning" Diaphram calls

Started by Pettit877, March 11, 2018, 02:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wise game calls

Very interesting discussion, I have looked for information like this forever. This may have already been answered somewhere but what is the variance between a press and a hand jig. For most of the stretches I do on a hand jig I run around .215-.260 on side tension.

compton30

Quote from: wise game calls on March 19, 2018, 12:42:48 PM
Very interesting discussion, I have looked for information like this forever. This may have already been answered somewhere but what is the variance between a press and a hand jig. For most of the stretches I do on a hand jig I run around .215-.260 on side tension.

If I stretched calls that tight on my jig they would sound like a squealing balloon. .180 is as high as I go on my jig

Lonehowl

Everyone is throwing numbers around...they might be misleading...Are you stretching on a press or a hand jig?
Mark

wise game calls

As stated I am stretching on a hand jig. I understand on a press you are only stretching from the frame to the end of the latex where as I stretch the full length of latex thus having to stretch further than the guys with a press would. I was just curious how those numbers would correlate with each other.

Otdrzman

Quote from: wise game calls on March 19, 2018, 03:27:41 PM
As stated I am stretching on a hand jig. I understand on a press you are only stretching from the frame to the end of the latex where as I stretch the full length of latex thus having to stretch further than the guys with a press would. I was just curious how those numbers would correlate with each other.

I think you may have answered your own question. I use one of Thads competition presses. I remember this question came up a couple years ago. Here are his (Thads) responses from 4/4/14.

1. "On a press you crimp left corner,,, from there to stretcher is about .95 of Material,,, Your only stretching .95 of material,,,,,,, on a hand jig from clamp to clamp is 1.875 of material,,,, now stretching .25 on both is same distance but the one on press is Tighter because there is less material to stretch,,,,,, trust me,,,,, when I first designed the hand jig I thought it should be the same but it isn't,,,,"

2. "I typically stretch .180 on a Press ,,, on a Hand jig to get about same sound I Stretch to
.320"

wise game calls

Quote from: Otdrzman on March 20, 2018, 10:44:07 AM
Quote from: wise game calls on March 19, 2018, 03:27:41 PM

I think you may have answered your own question. I use one of Thads competition presses. I remember this question came up a couple years ago. Here are his (Thads) responses from 4/4/14.

1. "On a press you crimp left corner,,, from there to stretcher is about .95 of Material,,, Your only stretching .95 of material,,,,,,, on a hand jig from clamp to clamp is 1.875 of material,,,, now stretching .25 on both is same distance but the one on press is Tighter because there is less material to stretch,,,,,, trust me,,,,, when I first designed the hand jig I thought it should be the same but it isn't,,,,"

2. "I typically stretch .180 on a Press ,,, on a Hand jig to get about same sound I Stretch to
.320"
Good info thanks

saverx

I like a 3 reed ghost yellow .004 over two .025 stretched 200 on a hand jig. or a 3 reed reverse combo .004 over 2 proph at 150 to 180 on a jig. Give it a try and good luck.

GobbleNut

Thanks for the suggestions saverx,...will give 'em a go....