OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi shot Vs TSS

Started by Seahunt, March 04, 2018, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seahunt

I know this is an open ended question but how much better does TSS shot out perform Hevi 13 shot.  Is it really worth the extra.  I thought Hevi 13 were expensive but the TSS is even higher.  Does it pattern better or is it just a harder shot pellet? 

What is every ones thought??

Gooserbat

With out a lot of explanation let's just pretend Hevi 6 is suddenly steel #4 and tss is now Hevi 6.  That's kinda the difference.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

cphill

I shot heavy 7 and tss 7 and at 40 heavy put 123 and tss put 173 so there u go better pattern and more weight..this is out of a 20

Gobble!

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 04, 2018, 02:38:13 PM
With out a lot of explanation let's just pretend Hevi 6 is suddenly steel #4 and tss is now Hevi 6.  That's kinda the difference.

Agree.

I think I have my numbers right someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Steel - 7.86g/cc
Lead - 11.1g/cc - 41% Densier Than Steel
HeviShot - 12g/cc - 8% Densier Than Lead
TSS - 18 g/cc - 50% Densier Than HeviShot

Dtrkyman

Best way I can explain it is my best ever 12ga patterns in 3.5 inch hevi are not as good as tss 20ga patterns, not really even that close.

IMHO 12ga tss rounds are a waste of shot.  They sure look amazing on paper but this stuff is too pricey to throw half of an ounce of extra shot down the drain each time you shoot a bird.

I shoot 1 5/8 oz loads and may experiment with some lighter ones.

Spitten and drummen

It's harder and you can use smaller shot with the same amount of killing energy as the bigger heavy shot. More shot is a good thing. #9 tss out of my 20 gauge is unbelievable. Been shooting 1-5/8 ounces until this year. I loaded up some 1-7/8 to try out. It is about 100 more pellets. I consistently get 300 plus in the 10 at 40 and 200 plus in the 20.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Phire Phite

Is it really worth the extra?...That's up to you

Does it pattern better and is it a harder shot?...Yes, and yes.

My thoughts?...If cost means less to you than using the best, then have at it.  Suffice to say that plenty of other "not best" shells exist that are flat out hammers if set up properly.  Plenty of evidence of that on this forum.  Besides it's cost, availability is the worst part of it.  Hopefully by next year with Federal loading it commercially, they'll be caught up with demand.  I don't even think Cabela's has it on their site anymore.

Don't know until you try it... :z-guntootsmiley:

Belo83

Doing some ammo shopping and have shot both hevi #4's and hevi #7's for 10+ years with success. I've also rolled and missed.

As it's time to reup, I too am wondering if I should switch to TSS. I see Hevi makes one by they way.

I'll add that I've traditionally always shot 3.5" shells. Thanks all.

Greg Massey

The TSS is just a better performing shell out of the box ...

Turkeytider

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 12, 2020, 05:09:46 PM
The TSS is just a better performing shell out of the box ...

Yeah, I think the jury's in on that. TSS is a superior load as far as ballistics are concerned. Can't imagine shooting anything else sub gauge. 12 gauge, another story as far as " need " is concerned.

Crghss

If you shooting 40 yds or less out of 12 ga to me it's not worth the money. Dead is dead.

I'm thinking of going to a 20 ga (410?) then I would need to use TSS.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

310 gauge

T.S.S. is THE SPECIAL SAUCE.....Before most of you were born, Hardee's Husky was the first 1/4 lb burger available in my area. Then they came out with the Hardee's Husky Jr. with the Special Sauce!  Instant hit in the fast food world! We found out later that the Special Sauce was just Thousand Island Dressing....  I switched over to Apex T.S.S. last year and it's like shooting a solid cloud of shot. I know it's overkill in my Maxus 3.5 and SumToy choke but I firmly believe it gives me somewhat of an advantage in a cleaner kill providing I stay within my means. Good luck with your choice and remember with all the arrows you have to choose from today,it still comes down to the Indian....

WW

I tried both in my 870 and both pellet counts at 40 yards were within 8 pellets of each other. I won't shoot a turkey past 40ish yards because that's not turkey hunting to me... If I can't call him in to 40 and under, he will live to be hunted another day. The tss is denser and allows you to use a 20 gauge to kill them the same distance as a 12 gauge and that is the selling point. To me, NO it's not worth it. I still carry my 12 gauge and love it, even if it is a little more heavy than a 20. What's amazing is how many people killed them at 40 plus for many years now think they have to have it just because it kills turkeys so far out. It's not about the pattern for everyone, for some, it's a crutch.

Ihuntoldschool

TSS will in all likelihood put up higher #s but will definitely be harder on your choke and or barrel as well as your wallet.  Only YOU can decide if it's worth it to YOU.

I have only ever needed lead shot or copper plated lead shot.

davisd9

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on June 15, 2020, 01:42:41 PM
TSS will in all likelihood put up higher #s but will definitely be harder on your choke and or barrel as well as your wallet.  Only YOU can decide if it's worth it to YOU.

I have only ever needed lead shot or copper plated lead shot.

Wallet and higher numbers yes.  Barrel is not effected if loaded correctly and only chokes that are really effected are ones with wad strippers.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer