turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need HELP fast guys! **RESOLVED**

Started by Spring_Woods, April 18, 2011, 05:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring_Woods

Well I went out this morning and missed at close range. The shot felt okay but I still missed. got home tonight and slung a few just to check and heres most likely why I'm not posting a success thread...Please give me some suggestions on how to fix this! i'm desperate...

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Ranman

May need to put some adjustable sights on your gun, or optics.  I also had a gun that shot a little high, so I started aiming at where the neck goes into the body, and had no more problems. FF2 or mueller would solve the issue, or some fiber optic adjustable sights. Good luck.
Ranman

hunttherut

What shell, choke, gun, distance, load, etc are you shooting?

stinkpickle

Adjustable sights!  Until then, aim low and a little to the right.  ;)

Spring_Woods

Quote from: hunttherut on April 18, 2011, 05:06:51 PM
What shell, choke, gun, distance, load, etc are you shooting?

Oops.. that might help.
rem 870 SM
hevi 13-- 3 2 6
Primos Tightwad choke
35-40 yards

I also should mention that I took the gun apart to change the plug. I had a #2 pencil in it before. I put the factory Remington plug in it. Now, I really doubt changing the plug would throw it off that much..would it?

oatsj

Did not miss a bird but I was shooting low and left win 1300  change chokes now shoots correct.   ;D

Spring_Woods

Should I get a different choke? If so, which one? Like I said, this gun was perfect last year and up until now.

bowhunter84

Quote from: Ranman on April 18, 2011, 05:06:16 PM
May need to put some adjustable sights on your gun, or optics.  I also had a gun that shot a little high, so I started aiming at where the neck goes into the body, and had no more problems. FF2 or mueller would solve the issue, or some fiber optic adjustable sights. Good luck.
Ranman
:agreed:   

BowBendr

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 18, 2011, 05:16:08 PMI also should mention that I took the gun apart to change the plug. I had a #2 pencil in it before. I put the factory Remington plug in it. Now, I really doubt changing the plug would throw it off that much..would it?

Did you get the barrel back on correctly ? Meaning, did you get the magazine cap screw tightened down good and snug.
I always put a witness mark on my cap screw to ensure it goes back on exactly the way it was before removal of the barrel.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: BowBendr on April 18, 2011, 05:38:37 PM
Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 18, 2011, 05:16:08 PMI also should mention that I took the gun apart to change the plug. I had a #2 pencil in it before. I put the factory Remington plug in it. Now, I really doubt changing the plug would throw it off that much..would it?

Did you get the barrel back on correctly ? Meaning, did you get the magazine cap screw tightened down good and snug.
I always put a witness mark on my cap screw to ensure it goes back on exactly the way it was before removal of the barrel.

Yes. I made sure it was snug. I didn't have a witness mark on it before hand though.

SumToy

Would like to see you with a new choke ;)but the pattern you have will kill a bird.  If that was 40 yards just put you some sights on the gun and go have fun.  The choke will come in time but now I dont think that is the problem.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Tom Foolery

I'd buy me some Williams Slugger sights, zero them, and kill turkey birds.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: SumToy on April 18, 2011, 07:24:32 PM
Would like to see you with a new choke ;)but the pattern you have will kill a bird.  If that was 40 yards just put you some sights on the gun and go have fun.  The choke will come in time but now I dont think that is the problem.

Well, I splurged and bought a PG .670 choke.  :lol:

I probably should have asked this first; will a different/better choke somehow make the shot shoot "on"?  ::)

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 18, 2011, 05:01:53 PM
Well I went out this morning and missed at close range. The shot felt okay but I still missed. got home tonight and slung a few just to check and heres most likely why I'm not posting a success thread...Please give me some suggestions on how to fix this! i'm desperate...

I suspect that when you took your barrel off and reinstalled it, you changed the POI. To me it looks like your magazine cap was tighter before you reinstalled the barrel than afterward. A tighter cap will pull the shot down and it could also cause your pattern to move left or right.

I'd just tighten up that cap and shoot a shot to see if you're back on. If that cap is not really tight, it can loosen pretty easily.

I recommend hand tight and then 3 "clicks" with padded pliers and that "witness mark" discussed earlier. It can be a scratch on the cap and the barrel band, or I use some of Doris' red nail polish. It works, stays on but can be removed if so desired.

All my best,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

dirtywhite

I have seen chokes change the POI in my guns before. the new choke might fix it or it might throw it in a diffrent direction best way to tell is to go shoot and see. if not i second the williams firesights they fixed my POI issue
"Forgiveness is between god and them it's my job to arrange the meeting"