North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Zero Tick Tolerance Policy

Started by FullChoke, March 02, 2018, 03:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3417.0.html

Whether you use a commercial spray product or make your own soaking solution, take the time before season opens to prepare your hunting clothes with a Permethrin based treatment to eliminate the threat of tick and chigger bites this year. Ticks can be a very real problem in different areas of the country in the spring and can carry and infect you with the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. People are becoming more aware of the long term problems that tick bites can create.  Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and treat your clothes.  Permethrin doesn't just repel ticks, they actually die quickly from contact with it on your clothes. It has been proven to be benign to humans when applied per instructions and allowed to dry completely prior to wearing.  Since I have been using Permethrin on my turkey hunting clothes about 7 years ago, I have found ZERO ticks, redbugs or chiggers on me. Zip, zero. nada!

Enjoy everything about your spring turkey season.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mightyjoeyoung

I have been treating my hunting clothing going on almost 10 years myself Norman.  The ONE year I thought I did but didn't (2015), I got a tick and developed Lyme disease that put me in the hospital that September.   I was on my back for a month literally.   Had every classic symptom too. Right down to the urinary urgency and incontinence.   I took a very short, 10 minute walk the other day out to my inlaws place and came back to find 2 deer ticks on me.  It was February and we had a HARD winter here.  Far too early to be finding them this far north this early!

If you mix your own, I suggest the livestock concentrate from tractor supply.   It's 10% and you dilute to about 0.5% for clothing treatment.  Saturate anything that touches the ground, trees or bushes and let it dry. As long as you don't soak it from heavy rain or wash it, it'll stay effective for about 2 weeks. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

FullChoke

I'm so sorry that you got infected. Lyme disease, from what I have read, is nothing to fool around with and with a little due diligence can be prevented. I also use the livestock Permethrin from Tractor Supply and dilute it to the same concentration, but effective for 2 weeks?! Mine seems to work for our entire 6 week season. Maybe you guys have SuperTicks?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mightyjoeyoung

I retreat about every 2 weeks.  Figures moisture,  movement, friction and the occasional rain will deplete the effectiveness.  Especially at that low a of a concentration.   Even damp it shouldn't harm a human if it soaks I to your skin.  I'm a nurse and have applied it in a 5%-10% strength for scabies so at0.5% retreating every weeks is only beneficial imo.  We have an insane tick problem here too.  Our camp 2 hours south is just covered in ticks. We find about 10-15 every couple hundred yards!  Last year setting deer stands we walked through a clear cut and it was like our clothes were alive with them. I have even gone to the extreme of spraying my travel route to my hotter stands
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.