OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trulock Federal Heavyweight Choke, no more Heavyweight?

Started by Smeds, March 02, 2018, 12:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smeds

Last summer I picked up a Weatherby SA-459 in 12 GA., and based on my reading here decided to send it down to Rob Roberts for some trigger work (what a difference) as well as cone lengthening.  When it came back, also based on reading here I decided to throw a Trulock choke in it, specifically the Fed. Hvy #7 choke.  I bought 2 boxes of shells, but have yet to sight it in (still deep winter up here).

Now I see Federal has TSS available, as well as the Heavyweight 7's.  Is it time to stock up on the Hvy ... do you think Federal is moving to TSS instead?  How will my existing choke shoot TSS?  Thanks, just thinking ahead.
I don't mind my wife having the last word ... in fact I'm usually delighted when she gets to it.

mightyjoeyoung

Federal has discontinued the heavyweight line of turkey loads, so IF you can find them and they pattern well in your gun/choke combo, I'd buy up as much as you can afford.  Honestly,  I'd buy up as much as you can anyway.   They're pure death on turkeys and even if your current choke doesn't like them, you should be able to find one that does. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

g8rvet

That Trulock is poison with the Weatherby and Fed HW#7.  Exactly what I am shooting.  Perfect hunting pattern.  High 160s at 40 yards.  It is 4 for 4 for me on birds, 37 yards down to 25 yards.  I bought 10 boxes last month to go with the 4-5 boxes I already had.  My daughter and I both shoot it, so I am set for a while. Also have 5 boxes of the low recoil Fed #7 as well. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mightyjoeyoung

I'm pretty well set too.  Got HTL?  Lol. About half my stock that isn't in storage.   
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Deast1988

Smeds

Just found and bought 4 more boxes ... thanks for all the replies!
I don't mind my wife having the last word ... in fact I'm usually delighted when she gets to it.

Smeds

Quote from: g8rvet on March 02, 2018, 12:37:05 PM
That Trulock is poison with the Weatherby and Fed HW#7.  Exactly what I am shooting.  Perfect hunting pattern.  High 160s at 40 yards.  It is 4 for 4 for me on birds, 37 yards down to 25 yards.  I bought 10 boxes last month to go with the 4-5 boxes I already had.  My daughter and I both shoot it, so I am set for a while. Also have 5 boxes of the low recoil Fed #7 as well.

Good to know, thank you!

wvnut3

chatterbox

Quote from: wvnut3 on March 02, 2018, 04:51:34 PM
Quote from: Deast1988 on March 02, 2018, 01:03:55 PM
I thought I was good with 15boxes of 3in #7 20ga
And i too with 25 boxes. Lee
I'm hanging my head in shame with only 14 boxes....
Gonna be trying longbeards in 6 shot, and Hevi-13 3-1.25-7's because I will need an alternative option, and I can't justify TSS prices....

Tom Foolery

I have 19 boxes of HW 7's and I wish I had picked up more.

Another HTL load that shoots great in my gun is the H13 3" 6's.  They run in the 120's from my .570 choke @ 42yds.  The best my gun ever did with the H13 7's was low 140's and it was usually in the 130's.  I bought 10 boxes of the 6's and will use them with the HW7's.

chatterbox

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 03, 2018, 08:34:21 AM
I have 19 boxes of HW 7's and I wish I had picked up more.

Another HTL load that shoots great in my gun is the H13 3" 6's.  They run in the 120's from my .570 choke @ 42yds.  The best my gun ever did with the H13 7's was low 140's and it was usually in the 130's.  I bought 10 boxes of the 6's and will use them with the HW7's.
Those are strong numbers!
I shot some 3-1.25-6 longbeards yesterday, and was disappointed. I know it was only in the mid 40's, but was only able to manage 62 in the 10 at 40. I would hope those numbers would go up to a number that would be acceptable, once the temps warm a bit.
If I can get at least 130 in the 10 with the Hevi-13 3-1.25-7's, I will be good with that!
I'm definitely waiting for warmer weather to get a more accurate picture!

Tom Foolery

I've never shot the LB's in 20 gauge. 

If my memory is right I went 123, 115, 126 with the H13 6's.

chatterbox

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 04, 2018, 12:14:33 PM
I've never shot the LB's in 20 gauge. 

If my memory is right I went 123, 115, 126 with the H13 6's.
Even though the pattern for the longbeards lacked acceptable numbers to hunt with, it was only 45 degrees, and the pattern was very uniform.
From this I figured that with temps in the 60's I should see the pellet count climb to acceptable numbers. I'm using an SSX choke, and I really like the patterns that choke throws!
Really excited to try the Hevi-13 7's, and hopefully decent numbers, although the numbers you're getting with the 3-1.25-6's look pretty dang sweet!

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Smeds on March 02, 2018, 12:20:43 PM
Last summer I picked up a Weatherby SA-459 in 12 GA., and based on my reading here decided to send it down to Rob Roberts for some trigger work (what a difference) as well as cone lengthening.  When it came back, also based on reading here I decided to throw a Trulock choke in it, specifically the Fed. Hvy #7 choke.  I bought 2 boxes of shells, but have yet to sight it in (still deep winter up here).

Now I see Federal has TSS available, as well as the Heavyweight 7's.  Is it time to stock up on the Hvy ... do you think Federal is moving to TSS instead?  How will my existing choke shoot TSS?  Thanks, just thinking ahead.
I too am sold and disappointed as well that they are discontinuing the 7s in the heavyweight,and I believe they will regret doing so. Anyhow I saw your post and thought i'd tell you the Trulock choke that is HWT #7 specific is also the constriction made for the TSS,furthermore I was told today by one of the staff @ Trulock that its actually the SAME choke.

savduck

I picked up a used Trulock #7 Heavyweight choke and a used Trulock #7 Tss choke for my 20 ga remington 870. Shot them both. One shot a 175 and the other shot a 176. Same choke.

Georgia Boy