News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where do all the turkeys go?

Started by Banana, March 02, 2018, 06:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 03, 2018, 08:39:51 AM
For me persistence and patients win the day!

Even in my "advanced years" I don't have a lot of patience, but I am persistent as hell.  My theory has always been that around the next corner is a gobbler that wants to die,...so I just keep going around the next corner until my theory works out!   :TooFunny: ;D

Banana

There are other areas but not much bigger around me.  I would need to travel about two hours to get into a state forest or bigger wma.  Not against doing that just time is limited for me with work and young kids.  What is your game plan when going in later and avoiding the crowds?

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Banana on March 03, 2018, 09:53:05 AM
There are other areas but not much bigger around me.  I would need to travel about two hours to get into a state forest or bigger wma.  Not against doing that just time is limited for me with work and young kids.  What is your game plan when going in later and avoiding the crowds?

So for me, I do have private ground I hunt during our early seasons (our seasons are 6 individual weeks) and I will hit public after it settles down... There are times during those early seasons that if not having luck where I am at and it's after that 11am time I will hit some public spots too. Seems like they hunt early and head out around here... I know there are birds there. And then when the late seasons hit most public is not seeing much action.

MK M GOBL

shaman

OK.  I didn't  realize how small the OP's plot was.  If you can walk it in a half hour, that's something more like what I hunt on.

When in doubt, I hunt the structure, just like a bass fisherman.  Find the most likely spots for turkeys to be, and wait.  I'm not saying ambush them, because you'll have to call them to you.  However, get to where they're going to be ahead of time and be ready.

Where will they be?  In general, my turkeys like to be where things come together.  Where a old logging road comes out of the forest into a field-- that's a good spot to find turkeys.  Throw in a fenceline  or a creek-- now you're talking.  I'm not saying you'll never find turkeys in the middle of a field.  However, I find turkeys prefer edges, joints, intersections and curves more than anything else. 

What I'd do is go looking now for where they're roosting and where they're feeding-- especially where they're feeding.  Somewhere around there will be their midday loafing spot.  Figure that you'll be hunting in the middle of it all.

Another thing to think about is that most hunters hunt the flydown and a little bit beyond and go in.  These turkeys may turn on late morning to late afternoon.  When nothing else is working, I'll go out to one of my favorite spots with a book and throw loud yelps and a cackle or two every 15-30 minutes all afternoon.  Often times something shows up.  There is nothing more unnerving than to be doing this, and get tired and doze off at 2PM only to have a gobbler wake you up at 4PM, gobbling at your backside.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Happy

Quote from: Banana on March 03, 2018, 09:53:05 AM
My game plan is pretty simple. Hunt like I always do. Move slow and quiet. The only tome i move fast is when i need to get in position fast or i am moving through an area i know the birds dont frequent much. Stay off the main trails and call like a turkey. Not against staying in a good spot for a while and waiting for a silent bird to sneak in.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Banana

Makes sense Shaman.  There are a bunch of small ponds hidden in the middle of the property that I found some tracks in April last year.  These ponds are difficult to get near because of the briar patches. Also at the furthest part of the property there is a spring which is the only water I found around that part.  There are some logging roads, but everyone and their mother use them and seem to set up along these.  Thanks for the help everyone I am starting to put a picture together now of what I can try.  Being spoiled for five years to now figuring out I really didn't know how to turkey hunt is humbling. 

ilbucksndux

My experience is that just because you cant find one that is gobbling does not mean he is not there. I know I want to kill one that comes in gobbling his head off but thats not always the case. Move around the woods. Sit and call, and just sit and watch. I have killed several like this and they never made a sound.
Gary Bartlow