OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870 20 gauge compact/Federal Tss  (Read 8798 times)

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Remington 870 20 gauge compact/Federal Tss
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
I think what Bottomland54 is saying he wants to see your best pattern after you have the gun dialed in and all the adjustments done..the final shot at the dot to see how dense your pattern is upon completion at the target. What your planning on hunting with...just opinion...   These are the patterns we are wanting to see not one's that will need adjustments before you get it shooting poa / poi..... after you get it on point at the dot...

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 07:52:38 PM »
I know what your saying but why post a picture on a turkey hunting forum we are hunting turkeys not paper. Y’all are misunderstanding me. My guns are dead on and the guy said move my circle lol and I actually drew the honest circle 10 inches around where I shot. I am using a ff3 that is zeroed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That gun appears not to be sighted in with those loads and choke at that distance..
Maybe with others and different distances  .
As good as I can see the pics on this phone you hit a bit higher, but not by much ?
The problem appears to be more along a bad pattern that isn't what would be expected of tss, of course that federal tss load has not been tested much at all. So who really knows what gun and choke combos are good . They are not apex and definitely not hand loads people are used too.
As far as the pattern pics being centered around the dot , why not take  your pics after it is sighted in ?
If you can.

BottomLand54

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 09:36:09 PM »
I know what your saying but why post a picture on a turkey hunting forum we are hunting turkeys not paper. Y’all are misunderstanding me. My guns are dead on and the guy said move my circle lol and I actually drew the honest circle 10 inches around where I shot. I am using a ff3 that is zeroed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That gun appears not to be sighted in with those loads and choke at that distance..
Maybe with others and different distances  .
As good as I can see the pics on this phone you hit a bit higher, but not by much ?
The problem appears to be more along a bad pattern that isn't what would be expected of tss, of course that federal tss load has not been tested much at all. So who really knows what gun and choke combos are good . They are not apex and definitely not hand loads people are used too.
As far as the pattern pics being centered around the dot , why not take  your pics after it is sighted in ?
If you can.

thank you, I was in a hurry and running out of time, i sit in a chair with a tripod and rest my gun on it and shoulder it, sometimes i do pull a little but i do think the gun is a tad high but not much. I have cleaned the gun very good, I will post pictures once i get time to shoot a dove load at 10 yards and make sure gun is on. if it is on i am going to go to 20 and 40 and repost pictures here if i do get time. Check out my Franchi pics in this same thread.

I do believe the gun should do better at 40, also i want to see folks with ready to hunt patterns. lets show what we are taking to the woods this is just the question i had that everyone got bent out of shape with.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 01:55:33 PM »
It doesn't look like moving your circle around for the 40 yard pattern would have bought you many more hits.  That said, you can always draw two circles, one for point of aim and one for point of impact.  Hopefully they are close.  I think all you've learned so far is not to shoot with a barrel full of grease.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 02:51:13 PM »
Remember also to get that bore cleaner out of the barrel.Denatured alcohol works great. Some have used brake clean also. clean and dry. Barrel and choke. Clean and dry.
Don't worry about final poi with dove loads at 40 yards. Work for final poi with the loads and choke you end up useing.

Offline Gobspur

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
You're mixing patterning vs sighting in.  Pattern to see what the gun/ammo/choke is capable of.  Doesn't matter where you aim...shoot from the hip if you want.  Draw 10 inch circle around densest part of pattern, and 20 inch too.  That'll tell you how many hits in 10 and 20, and also how even your pattern is.  Address sighting in separately.  You can do it before or after you pattern.  I'd say your POI is high.  You said its zeroed, but was that with TSS or dove loads?  If the TSS, I'd say you still need to adjust a little.