OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870 20 gauge compact/Federal Tss  (Read 8799 times)

BottomLand54

Remington 870 20 gauge compact/Federal Tss
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:54:05 AM »
Ok guys this gun is brand new, I had it drilled and tapped and put a sumtoy base with a Burris ff3 on it. This is the Walmart 870 20 gauge compact 21” Barrel full camo everyone went crazy over. I unscrewed factory choke and put in a sumtoy .562-5 choke. I was shooting the new Federal Tss 3” 1.5 oz 9s. I first sighted in red dot with bird loads. However lead 7.5s are allot lighter then tss 9’s so it’s hard to get it real close with dove loads compared too tss.

Here is some pictures.
It was clear around 54 degrees with a real light breeze

The circle is a 10” circle
394 at 20
And 145 at 40

I think it could be better with a clean barrel. I havnt shot apex out of it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Remington 870 20 gauge compact/Federal Tss
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
That seem really low at 40yds with most getting 150+ with the old HW#7s.

Maybe clean or polish the barrel, and try a open factory full or Carlson choke

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »
Never had trouble getting dove loads to hit the same as TSS.  The TSS does not start falling until a ways after 40 according to those that developed a lot of the loads.  Usually when I am dead on at 12.5 yards I am dead on at 25 and 40. 

May try a Primos TightWad or something in the .570-575 range.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:24:38 AM »
You have the right combo now. Look at my pics that I posted. I'm shooting the exact same set up. Also, you don't draw the circle before you shoot, you draw it around the densest part of the pattern after the shot. My gun put up higher numbers with a dirty barrel.

BottomLand54

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »
No I draw that circle around what The dot I shoot at I am honest about numbers and don’t count em this is first time ever. You guys that point at a spot and move your circle isn’t honest I want to know what I am shooting at, and the pattern around it. I cleaned the Gun real good and when I get time I am going to try to shoot a apex out of it at 40 it will put 250s-280s on paper I better. That’s .562-5 out of my Franchi is nasty.

I may shoot it again later and see why it does I know it will kill birds at what it’s doing now.

What should a man expect at 20 and 40 out of this Gun?

BottomLand54

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
This was a brand new Gun out of box never cleaned with all the factory oil in it.

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
No I draw that circle around what The dot I shoot at I am honest about numbers and don’t count em this is first time ever. You guys that point at a spot and move your circle isn’t honest I want to know what I am shooting at, and the pattern around it. I cleaned the Gun real good and when I get time I am going to try to shoot a apex out of it at 40 it will put 250s-280s on paper I better. That’s .562-5 out of my Franchi is nasty.

I may shoot it again later and see why it does I know it will kill birds at what it’s doing now.

What should a man expect at 20 and 40 out of this Gun?

I'm not honest because I count 10 inch circles the correct way?? Have fun dude, sounds like you have it all figured out already...

BottomLand54

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »
ok guys let me clarify now that i am on my computer and not on my cell phone.

1. It doesn't make any sense to me why you would put a dot on a piece of paper at 40 yards and shoot your gun at that dot as if it were a turkeys head, then once you shoot that shell and your pattern be way off to the top, bottom, left, or right and then your going to draw a circle around the best part of your pattern so you can count more numbers. This does not make any sense to me because i am hunting Turkeys not counting holes that hit way off target of what I aimed at.

2. This is the first time I have ever counted holes, and it seemed to be very low on the 40 yard shot as far as hole count goes.

3. IF my FF3 is is dead on, and I shoot my gun dead on at the dot and my pattern is spread out and then I draw a 10" circle around the place I aimed and counted the holes in the paper, is this not the proper way?

AND I DID NOT DRAW MY 10" Circles until after i shot.

AND YES MY Kent and Winchester dove loads 2.75 inch 7.5 shot and 8 shot loads were dead on and my turkey loads hit lower this was both with apex and federal tss. I sight my ff3s in with dove loads and get them dead on at 22.5-25.0 feet. Once it is dialed in then I put a turkey load in at 60 feet/20yards and shoot a turkey load and it was 2 inches lower out of every gun. Maybe I dont have them 9 shot tss dove loads ya'll shoot.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 05:16:22 PM »
Why would you have the ability to adjust your sights and not adjust them to the densest part of the pattern?

Would you mount a scope on a rifle, bore sight it, shoot a group that hits 12" from the bullseye and leave it be? 

BottomLand54

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 05:18:44 PM »
Why would you post a picture of not already having your sights dialed into densest part of your pattern, it’s like saying look at my   Rifle grouping how good it is and 3 shots be stacked but a foot off where you were aiming. Who cares how dense it is if it ain’t where your aiming.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »
Because it's a group/pattern that can be moved for goodness sake.  Do you understand the concept of a repeatable pattern and adjustable sights?

If the densest part isn't where you're aiming then you adjust your sight to move the densest part to the POA.  If your rifle is grouping good 12" away from the bullseye all you have to do is count some clicks and re-shoot the group until you get it where you want it and a shotgun is no different.

BottomLand54

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 05:34:20 PM »
I know what your saying but why post a picture on a turkey hunting forum we are hunting turkeys not paper. Y’all are misunderstanding me. My guns are dead on and the guy said move my circle lol and I actually drew the honest circle 10 inches around where I shot. I am using a ff3 that is zeroed in.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »
Why would you post a picture of not already having your sights dialed into densest part of your pattern, it’s like saying look at my   Rifle grouping how good it is and 3 shots be stacked but a foot off where you were aiming. Who cares how dense it is if it ain’t where your aiming.

That is why you move your aiming device to it to have it hit where you are aiming

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

BottomLand54

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 05:50:26 PM »
Guys guys guys I understand this , the guy was telling me to draw a circle around my densest pattern he didn’t know that my gun is zeroed in and I drew that circle around where I was shooting that is my pattern. The Gun was very very dirty, when it clears off and warms up and I have time I may shoot it again since it’s clean. I do appreciate all the feedback and I know that 145 at 40 out of my setup is not good. However my gun is blowing holes at 20 yds and 25 yds. I may have had a bad box of federal as well.

My question and problem is I understand you guys put up a big piece of paper or cardboard and shoot your gun at a dot at 40 yds and determine how you like the pattern that hits the paper and if you like it and it’s no poa/poi you put sights on Gun or adjust sights. But why not post a picture of your gun throwing that nice dense pattern over the dot your aiming at that’s what I am trying to say.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 06:13:17 PM »
It shows what the gun is capable of doing with a slight sight adjustment.

No different than working up a load with a rifle that's been zeroed with another load and it hits is a different place.  A 1/2" group 9" away from the bull is still a 1/2" group, it shows the potential accuracy of the gun and all you have to do is move the POI where you want it.

Some of my pattern pics are centered and some aint, doesn't make any of them worse than the others because the ones that ain't centered will be soon.

Some guys run a shell or two out of their gun, get short on time, count holes, post a pic and set zero later.