OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Youth 870 20 gauge Federal TSS  (Read 6849 times)

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
Youth 870 20 gauge Federal TSS
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:00:03 PM »
870 youth 20 gauge
Federal 3 inch 9s TSS
Sumtoy 562-5 (left pattern)
SSX (right pattern)
40 yards
65°
290 and 287 in 10 inch circle

Offline Swab21

Re: Youth 870 20 gauge Federal TSS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:55:24 PM »
Thanks for posting. I have not been able to get my hands on any 20 Gauge TSS this year. I was curious what to expect from my SSX choke when I do finally get some in my hands.  I am also going be trying my old faithful Carslons 575. 

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:02:10 AM »
Very nice!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »
Thanks for posting. I have not been able to get my hands on any 20 Gauge TSS this year. I was curious what to expect from my SSX choke when I do finally get some in my hands.  I am also going be trying my old faithful Carslons 575.

The Carlsons was on my short list if these two didn't work out.

BottomLand54

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
where you aiming your gun at that black small dot on the paper when you shot?
If so what is in the 10" circle around the black dot, we cant just decide to find the best spot on our paper and draw a 10" circle. Count whats inside the 10" around where you aimed to shoot.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »
If so what is in the 10" circle around the black dot, we cant just decide to find the best spot on our paper and draw a 10" circle. Count whats inside the 10" around where you aimed to shoot.

He will adjust his poa to his poi, just like you are supposed to do when patterning a gun.  Very few turkey guns shoot exactly where you point it out the box and adjustments have to be made, sights, shims, polishing, etc.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »

Ok, let me explain this to you since you can't comprehend.

Step 1: gather gun(s), choke(s), and ammo you plan on testing.
Step 2: go to your range, yard, wherever it is that you shoot.
Step 3: shoot all guns, chokes, and ammo you are testing at 40 yards with a large piece of paper.
Step 4: draw a 10 inch circle around the densest part of each pattern, and count holes.
Step 5: decide which pattern/ammo combo you like best.
Step 6: fine tune the poa/poi of selected combo.
Step 7: shoot at other distances to see how pattern shoots (optional).
Step 8: post pictures of said patterns on hunting/shooting forums so others can know what to expect out of different combos (optional as well).

Offline Vaturkeyhntr

• "boom time"
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
Very encouraging!!!  I too am shooting an 870 with an SSX choke and was hoping it wasn’t gonna be too tight of constriction.  Just waiting on my Apex 9’s to arrive in the mail.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 06:41:15 PM »
I think what Bottomland 54 is saying instead of seeing the before target adjustments , he's wanting to see your dense's pattern after you have made all of your adjustments and have the gun dialed in for that opening day of turkey season...  I feel if you show your true dialed in pattern it will tell us a lot more about your gun and setup...just opinion ....

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 08:26:44 PM »
I think what Bottomland 54 is saying instead of seeing the before target adjustments , he's wanting to see your dense's pattern after you have made all of your adjustments and have the gun dialed in for that opening day of turkey season...  I feel if you show your true dialed in pattern it will tell us a lot more about your gun and setup...just opinion ....

I'm not sure how it can show anymore about the gun if it's a foot off or dead center. The pattern is the same either way. Also, people aren't going to take the time to fine tune every shell/choke combo when trying out new loads. They can still post pictures of the pattern(s) even if they decide not to go with that combo though.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 08:40:25 PM »
I think we are talking about Tss, not other shells...like the post started out ...i didn't know we were talking about other shells...

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 09:29:38 PM »
I think we are talking about Tss, not other shells...like the post started out ...i didn't know we were talking about other shells...

Ya a TSS shell that is brand new and needs be tested with multiple chokes, and in my case a TSS shell that doesn't shoot the same as my last ammo that was used.... Luckily for me I have a scope that will dial right in to dead center.... Also in MY thread I don't recall saying "here is my ready to hunt target/pattern"....

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 09:37:41 PM »
I understand what your saying and you have to understand what we are saying , we can post shells, chokes and patterns all day.. We are wanting to see what your going to hunt with shell, choke and best pattern at 40 yards...strustopper...

BottomLand54

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 09:38:30 PM »

Ya a TSS shell that is brand new and needs be tested with multiple chokes, and in my case a TSS shell that doesn't shoot the same as my last ammo that was used.... Luckily for me I have a scope that will dial right in to dead center.... Also in MY thread I don't recall saying "here is my ready to hunt target/pattern"....

hey man if you took any offense to what i was saying i apologize, all i am saying is i want to see a ready to hunt set up. This is a hunting forum. I do appreciate all the feedback on my post and they help from you, and i do understand what you were saying by drawing a 10' circle, this 870 is a brand new gun to me. I really like your patterns and hope mine now that i have cleaned it and once i do some final adjustments will do the same as yours.

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 10:31:19 PM »
It's all good BottomLand54

I understand what you two are saying. My thoughts , which may not always be right, are that the pattern sub forums are for posting pictures of patterns from all the different combos that people have tested. Posting all the pattern pictures puts out the most information for the people viewing this forum.