OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Have any turkey hunting traditions?  (Read 7594 times)

Offline arrow1

Re: Have any turkey hunting traditions?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »
The best tradition I have come across I learned a couple of years ago hunting with in South Florida.  They (hunter(s) and guide) toast the kill of a gobbler with a Wild Turkey 101 "shooter" (small airplane bottle).  The lodge is adorned with 101 bottles exemplifying their level of success.  Therefore, Dad and I have continued with that tradition.

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 03:07:34 PM »
Yeah, tradition alright.  Straight out of the truck into the woods with da TP.
I call that the "good luck poop..."  Probably due to the infusion of coffee, and being way ahead of schedule to get it done at home....

My yearly tradition is to carefully organize my hunting vest for the season the night before...  I am not known for being "organized," but going through the vest and putting everything in it for the season helps to "get me in the mood," as well as having everything in my vest in a logical spot, easily replaced, making it less likely for me to loose or forget things.

The last two years, I have taken one of my children with me on the opener, and I hope to continue this tradition as well...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »
When I call a bird in for someone I carry it out of the woods for them, my mentor used to do it for me and tell me to just "soak up the moment" so when I take someone I do the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 06:25:09 AM »
On a person's first bird I usually tell them to pack it out on their own. I want them to have their own time to let it all soak in. I still sit and relax for a bit with every tom I kill and appreciate what he gave me.
When I call a bird in for someone I carry it out of the woods for them, my mentor used to do it for me and tell me to just "soak up the moment" so when I take someone I do the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club