turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Have any turkey hunting traditions?

Started by CtRider, February 27, 2018, 01:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

Never found an arrowhead while hunting but at least a few times a season I go down to the farm after hunting and walk for arrowheads. I've been doing that for several years now. Always remind me someone way before me, killed critters to survive and did it with a lot less than I have.

ilbucksndux

Since my boys have been old enough for the youth hunt I usually have all the stuff in my vest ready to go. Before that I never got any of my stuff ready till the night before, that includes buying my license. Now I have my vest ready to go but usually pop up out of bed in the middle of the night realizing that I need a new license.
Gary Bartlow

Nidanation

I always say a prayer before I get out of truck and thank the good Lord for His Creation and for me the opportunity to hunt them. If I'm successful I always give another prayer of thanks and pluck 1 feather for my late father.

CtRider

Quote from: Nidanation on March 05, 2018, 09:34:28 PM
I always say a prayer before I get out of truck and thank the good Lord for His Creation and for me the opportunity to hunt them. If I'm successful I always give another prayer of thanks and pluck 1 feather for my late father.
I forgot to add that one - I do a prayer as well. Thankful for creation and the opportunity to interact with it, safety and the time with hunting buddies.

Gobspur

Yeah, tradition alright.  Straight out of the truck into the woods with da TP.

Cut N Run

Lots of times when my best friend and I get together to hunt, we bring along the cooking gear & fixings for a bacon & egg breakfast with oatmeal, juice, and coffee.  Several times we have doubled on Opening Day and it is more like a victory feast.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Dr. Gobbler

I have only one tradition thats pretty special to me. Every time I or a friend thats with me kills. I take the shell and put it on the nearest sapling or tree so it will stay there for awhile. Was taught to me by the man who taught me to turkey hunt. We call it a "turkey tombstone"
"Don't bump him!"- Dad 09-10-1949 to 05-18-2017

Sixes

Mine is going with my Dad for 4-6 day hunt either the first or second week of the season. He just turned 72 but still loves to kill turkeys, he just can't get around like he used to while hunting, but he still manages to kill at least a couple of birds a year.

We made a 24 hour drive out to TX a couple of years back and it was a rough trip for him with the drive and the very rocky and hilly terrain, but he still hunted every morning and one evening and killed 2 big Rios.

GobbleNut

I have found that my one tradition over the years has been to scream "F...ing turkeys" at least once or twice on every hunt.   ;D :toothy12: :toothy9:

1iagobblergetter

I cut my son out of school the day before to make the couple hour drive and set up 2 or 3 blinds. After that we try to find my brother working on his farm and see if he has time to go fishing on his farm pond. After that we eat,visit,and then get up early for the morning hunt. Good times!!

huntnflorida

I take a shot of wild turkey bourbon from the shotgun shell I used to kill the bird.  It's pretty rough on those early morning kills!

3bailey3

i try and eat crawfish every Saturday of the season!

dedwards44

We always get up to camp on the Thursday before the Saturday opener in Pennsylvania and watch the NFL draft each year.  Then we scout all day Friday

Spring_Woods

I keep my spent shell in my vest of the bird i killed the previous year. On the first day i look at the shell and remember what the hunt from the previous year was like. It reminds me what i have to do to get it done.

I throw the previous years shell away before opening day.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

guesswho

I have a couple that go way back.  I always rotate shells after an unsuccessful day.   Another tradition that my Dad started me on when I was a kid, is to take a breast feather from the first turkey I kill with each gun and put it under the butt pad of the gun.  All my turkey guns I've ever had has a feather under the butt pad.   A couple go back over 50 years.   Every now and then I'll start feeling nostalgic and I'll take take the butt off one of the guns and look at and hold the feather.  Pretty neat to see a feather that goes back to my childhood.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff